DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech-67/)
-   -   2002 Dakota dies in the cold (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech/421393-2002-dakota-dies-in-the-cold.html)

scottw115 02-10-2019 01:25 PM

2002 Dakota dies in the cold

I have a 2002 Dakota. It's a 4wd 4 door SLT with the 4.7, and 170000 miles. Auto trans, of course.

It runs very well. I have not done anything to it in the 5 years I've owned it.

There is one problem. Whenever the weather is cold outside(maybe 10 or colder) the Dakota dies, just as if the ignition shuts off. This happens when it is just warming up, sort of at the point the t-stat opens. It happens when stopped, in gear.

After 10-20 minutes it starts right up, and all is well. When it first starts after this condition, it clears out black smoke/unburned fuel.

Is there anything temperature related that would cause this? I would suspect the crank sensor but the condition only occurs in excessive cold temps, and it seems to me ignition rather than lack of fuel.

Just wondered if anyone has experienced this?

HeyYou 02-10-2019 01:55 PM

The black smoke should be your first clue. I would take a long hard long at the coolant temp sensor. It has the biggest effect on how much fuel the PCM puts into the cylinders. Get to much, the engine loads up, and quits. If the crank sensor were failing, the PCM wouldn't see that the engine is actually turning, so, no fuel injection event would occur.

scottw115 02-10-2019 02:03 PM

Any way of testing the coolant temp sensor? Would I look for fluctuations in the readings, or just change the bugger out? The problem I described carrys over from last winter. I didn't fix it then because it warmed up, and the problem left!
I have been looking for an excuse to buy a scan tool. Unrelated to this, I also have a 2014 Chrysler 200 that has an air bag light on constantly, and have been going back and forth on getting a scanner.

HeyYou 02-10-2019 02:06 PM

The hot ticket would be to plug in with a scanner that can read live data, and see what the PCM thinks engine temp is when the problem presents itself.

scottw115 02-10-2019 02:27 PM

Many thanks, Hey You, for the prompt responses!
I think I will change that sensor today, just to eliminate it. All the symptoms seem to point there anyway.
Am I OK getting one from NAPA or Orileey, or should I wait and go see Ma Mopar when she opens up tomorrow?

HeyYou 02-10-2019 02:31 PM

Get a GOOD quality brand name from your local parts store. Should work just fine.

Dodgevity 02-11-2019 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by scottw115 (Post 3428834)
Am I OK getting one from NAPA or Orileey, or should I wait and go see Ma Mopar when she opens up tomorrow?

Replaced mine last yr with Amazon Mopar unit. Needle was all over the place before the fix. Will fit yours.

scottw115 02-11-2019 12:56 PM

I replaced it yesterday with Echlin from NAPA. I operates normally

i had no fluctuation on the temp gauge, only the problem in cold air

i am not hoping for any of that, just so I can verify the fix!