2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

'99 Dakota Strange Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 04:35 PM
J7Pines
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Dakota Strange Electrical Problems

**RESOLVED**
I took it into my mechanic and he traced the issue back to a bad connection that supplied grounding to all the components that were malfunctioning. He didn't bother finding the exact location of the issue but instead cut off the ground and refed it. 0 issues, it did the trick. Apparently various systems were backfeeding to a central cluster since they didn't have a ground; causing all my issues.

I've got a 1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 Extended Cab w/ the 5.2L. I've had some minor electrical issues with it, like cab lights periodically flashing and locks locking/unlocking when the door is open and continue to do so until the door is shut.
The issue that just started today (03/13/19) is the locks are stuck down and can't be unlocked by hand, cab lights won't turn on, dash lights are ON if the headlights/parking lights are OFF and vice versa if I turn the headlights ON dash lights turn OFF. Fog lights do not work at all, neither do my turn signals, but the turn signal indicators on the dash are stuck on, even with the key off. Brake/reverse lights work just like normal except for my 3rd brake light which is stuck on, even with the key off. Cab blower fan doesn't work either. Aftermarket stereo works w/o issue.
All fuses and relays appear to be good, battery has a strong charge, solid battery connection.
I'm really stuck here, not sure what it might be or where to start.

-Josh

Last edited by J7Pines; 03-23-2019 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Problem resolved
Old 03-13-2019, 05:02 PM
XSubaruJeepDude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J7Pines
I've got a 1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 Extended Cab w/ the 5.2L. I've had some minor electrical issues with it, like cab lights periodically flashing and locks locking/unlocking when the door is open and continue to do so until the door is shut.
The issue that just started today (03/13/19) is the locks are stuck down and can't be unlocked by hand, cab lights won't turn on, dash lights are ON if the headlights/parking lights are OFF and vice versa if I turn the headlights ON dash lights turn OFF. Fog lights do not work at all, neither do my turn signals, but the turn signal indicators on the dash are stuck on, even with the key off. Brake/reverse lights work just like normal except for my 3rd brake light which is stuck on, even with the key off. Cab blower fan doesn't work either. Aftermarket stereo works w/o issue.
All fuses and relays appear to be good, battery has a strong charge, solid battery connection.
I'm really stuck here, not sure what it might be or where to start.

-Josh
Hey Josh.
Im going to go out on a limb and guess that the problems you mentioned come from multiple sources.
*With regard the blower. it may be a bad motor or blower relay
*The cab lighting is a issue often reported and often associated with the dimmer control unit or switch. this may also be connected to your fog light issue. whether that be a column unit or dash mounted unit, both have been reported as causing issues
* The door lock issue sounds like , to me anyway, a RELAY issue. the door lock relays cant be visibly inspected they must be tested with a multimeter. OR you could try pulling the power door relay and popping it against something hard and then reinserting it and see if you notice a difference. OR you could possibly have a wiring harness grounding issue under the dash. This sometimes happens when after market electronics are not installed correctly.
Hope these suggestions help.

Last edited by XSubaruJeepDude; 03-13-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:47 PM
J7Pines

Thanks for responding here. The thing that really throws me for a loop is all this started happening at the same exact time. I started my truck to go to work this morning and instantly all this happened. I haven't done anything to have caused this all of a sudden, although I assume it's possible something like a ground came loose and caused all the problems at the same time or in a short sequence.
I'll double check all my relays but I think they're fine.
I guess my next step will be checking grounds. Any additional info or tips are much appreciated.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Make sure the alternator has good output, and the battery is up to snuff.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:54 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

See if a reset helps. Pull your neg battery cable and turn your key to start position for about five seconds.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:17 AM
tonypilot7
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Since everything started acting up all at once, I would suspect a bad ground or plug somewhere. If you have the wiring schematic, I would start with checking the common grounds to see if there is a ground or maybe a single plug that all those systems go through.

My second guess would be a failing CTM but I am not sure if it controls all the systems you listed..

Last edited by tonypilot7; 03-14-2019 at 02:24 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:22 PM
J7Pines

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
See if a reset helps. Pull your neg battery cable and turn your key to start position for about five seconds.
Attempted a reset a couple times with no luck. Working on going through my grounds, we'll see what I can find.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:09 PM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

check the blower resistor wires and connector inside for burning too .Common problem in these

Quick Reply: '99 Dakota Strange Electrical Problems