2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 dodge dakota 4.7L spit and sputtering and loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 12:52 AM
tonypilot7
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the Torque app, It will show you o2 live info and fuel trims plus most of the sensor data. It takes a bit of fiddlin' to get it set up initially, but there are Youtube vids that will walk you through it. I can't remember if the free app has those capabilities or if it's the upgraded one, It's only $4.99 though, so it isn't going to break the bank.

It doesn't have circuit controlling capability though, I wish it did.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:37 AM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

CarSys an a few others are free an show 02 data live up an downstream an a few other 02 things,TPS,load,etc

Id like one showing fuel pressure an more sensor readings.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:14 AM
Joseph Sukel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still no progress

Dodge told me it's probably my conputer but they wont tell me anything else unless I bring it in to them so they can rack up a huge bill for me so I dont think I'll take it to them but I unplugged both o2 sensors makes no difference and i tested the injectors they are good i even took themout and cleaned them up a little and the fuel pressure is in factory specs even when its spitting and sputtering and even when it wont start back up when it finally shuts off in just done messing with it for now I found a 2001 grand Cherokee limited that needs a motor it also has the 4.7 liter in it might just completely rebuild the one in my dakota and slap it in this jeep

Last edited by Joseph Sukel; 06-10-2019 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 06-10-2019, 06:24 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Sukel
Dodge told me it's probably my conputer but they wont tell me anything else unless I bring it in to them so they can rack up a huge bill for me so I dont think I'll take it to them
I'd let them diagnose it, but not authorize the repair. Then u can fix it yourself, once you know what's causing it.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:09 PM
Joseph Sukel

Well I might I dont know what I want to do with it yet this jeep I found is in perfect condition just needs a motor

Old 06-17-2019, 04:31 PM
Joseph Sukel
Default I think I got it

So I got a computer hooked up and it tells me it's a problem with fuel bank 1 so that would be the drivers side fuel rail so I'm going to buy 4 new injectors and see if that fixes the issue

Old 06-18-2019, 08:56 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Sukel
So I got a computer hooked up and it tells me it's a problem with fuel bank 1 so that would be the drivers side fuel rail so I'm going to buy 4 new injectors and see if that fixes the issue
While running, unplug the injectors one by one. If you unplug an injector and the idle doesn't change, it's bad.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:44 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
While running, unplug the injectors one by one. If you unplug an injector and the idle doesn't change, it's bad.
x2 on this

Old 06-18-2019, 01:53 PM
Joseph Sukel
Default Nooe

But see that's the thing the truck runs great till it gets to operating temp then it spits and sputters and shuts off I just unplugged all 8 injectors 1 at a time and each one made a difference when I unplugged them and plugged it back in I also took them all out and ohm tested them and they all came back fine so I have no idea

Old 06-19-2019, 12:59 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm curious what the fuel trims look like, as well as the Intake Air Temp and Coolant Temp when it acts up. MAP fault is unlikely IMO. Closed or open look would be nice to know as well - if it does it as soon as it goes into closed loop, that would point back to O2 sensor possibly

Quick Reply: 2002 dodge dakota 4.7L spit and sputtering and loss of power