2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 Dakota instrument cluster random off/on

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 08:22 PM
ManiacCoder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2002 Dakota instrument cluster random off/on

A little while ago the instrument cluster in my 2002 Dakota SXT started randomly blinking off and then back on just as if I had turned the power off then immediately back on. This affects all gauges and idiot lights on the cluster but nothing else in the pickup. This behavior is completely random as far as I can tell -- I can go a day or two or three without any issues and then some days it will happen multiple times. It can happen while driving, while stopped, while parked, just after starting or after the truck has been running a while - in short, there isn't any rhyme or reason to it that I can figure out.

I've done the reset procedure a couple of times (battery cable off, key to start) without any apparent impact/change.

Before I start throwing parts at it I thought that I'd ask the forum to see if this feels like maybe the CTM or perhaps the cluster itself is going, or if I should look elsewhere. I'm stumped and haven't come up with anything after several hours of Google and searching on this forum so I'm hoping that someone can point me in a more productive direction on this issue. Thanks!

Old 04-17-2019, 09:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Bad connection somewhere. I would start at the back of the cluster itself.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:03 PM
ManiacCoder

A small update - when driving last night I did notice that the backlighting from when using the lights does *not* blink out with the rest of the cluster gauges. It is only the gauges, odometer & gear indicator areas that blink out - the backlighting stays steady.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Questionable power feed for the cluster? I don't have wiring diagrams for those handy......

Old 04-22-2019, 08:49 AM
Mopar44134
Amateur

Same problem here. Im thinking dimmer switch possibly. I picked up a 2002 wrecked durango for the drive train. when i get a minute ill swap cluster and switch to see what happens. what i do know on the cluster, it holds the programming for the mileage. Other than that does anyone know if it will work in a 2000 dakota. it will plug right in and looks the same. i pick one up from pull a part, i may have gotten a bad one but it didnt work right.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:58 AM
Mopar44134
Amateur

Quick Reply: 2002 Dakota instrument cluster random off/on