DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech-67/)
-   -   Failing Alternator Cause Missfire codes? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech/423853-failing-alternator-cause-missfire-codes.html)

Lefty2053 06-09-2019 10:42 AM

Failing Alternator Cause Missfire codes?

Just wondering since my Alternator isn't charging all the time sometimes for about 1 minute could this cause the missfire codes I recently got? I watched a video and a guy said a weak battery could cause those codes. So if it isn't charging for that 1 minute the battery gets a little week. Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

magnethead 06-09-2019 12:02 PM

It's entirely plausible. JTEC hates a low battery voltage and will start doing all kinds of weird stuff with fuel injectors and ignition coil.

Lefty2053 06-09-2019 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by magnethead (Post 3441813)
It's entirely plausible. JTEC hates a low battery voltage and will start doing all kinds of weird stuff with fuel injectors and ignition coil.

FIrst the TPS and now the Alternator. I put the tools in the truck needed to change it out and will put one in when I go pick up the wife from work later.

98DAKAZ 06-09-2019 01:39 PM

If you think that’s bad all new autos now are so electronically and mechanically complicated and everything dependent on each other it’s amazing they work at all or last more than 6 years. When these autos hit a certain point age they are no longer worth keeping these are now the unusable old autos the poor and young will be left with autos so expensive to fix what will the poor and young use for transportation in the future?

Back to bicycles or mopeds maybe?

Two movies come to mind 1984 and Brazil

Lefty2053 06-09-2019 01:52 PM

I have had several 1980's Chevy Trucks and never had a hard time working on them. My next truck will be back to basic. Heck you can trick them out real easy too.

98DAKAZ 06-09-2019 02:18 PM

Older 80's and 90's are the hot thing now low cost to fix simple.

Lefty2053 06-13-2019 07:14 PM

OK so I took the truck for a 35 mile drive today. The alternator dropped down to about 12 volts for the ride home. I went out and was going to take it off and just buy a new one. Got 2 10mm bolts off and couldn't figure out why that wire wouldn't come off. Finally realised there was 2 7mm nut holding it on as well. Turns out that is where I saw sparks coming from and it was those 2 7mm nuts were really loose. Got them tightened down and I am confident I won't have the VOltage problem again and it possibly could be why I had the sputter. Not getting the correct voltage can cause a lot of electrical problems I read. Anything from the computer to the Injectors. Got those fingers crossed.

Lefty2053 06-17-2019 02:49 PM

OK so I got the wires tight and went for an 85 mile drive today. Volt meter never dropped and the truck had more power, Read it can make the fuel pump run slower so I guess that is all fixed now. AS for the sputtering I still have it but it doesn't seem as extreme as before and only sputtered 5 times on the way and not at all on the way back. Just so every knows this truck sits all winter and I am now thinking maybe moister in the tank. I am going to using it a lot this winter as soon as the snow melts on the mountains so I can take the boat out. We still have ice on the lakes up there.