Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 2nd Gen Dakota Tech
Reload this Page >

2001 DK V8-Is there a way to prime oil system

2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001 DK V8-Is there a way to prime oil system

Old 06-14-2019, 06:30 PM
ForgedCrank
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 DK V8-Is there a way to prime oil system

Hello,
I just signed up here to see if there were any techs that could answer a question. I've searched high and low and can't find anything.
I have a 2001 Dakota SLT with a V8. It's a low mileage truck I only drive once every month or two, or in bad weather... maybe a couple hundred miles a year at most.
Obviously thats hard on a lot of stuff, but one thing in particular is cold starts after sitting for weeks. does anyone know of a simple way of cranking the engine so it won't start? My other vehicles have a process to clear flooding that shuts off the fuel if you hold the pedal to the floor while you crank, but that doesn't work on this one. So I'm curious if there is a simple way to do the same on this pickup without having to disassemble anything.
Anyway, any feedback would really be appreciated... I'm trying to keep from trashing the bearings in this thing and I don't really want to install a pre-oiler on it if there is another way.
Thanks!

Old 06-14-2019, 07:07 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel pump relay, or the fuse. Should be under the hood, might have to look in the owners manual if the lid isn't labeled on the underside.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:31 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or the ASD relay. That would disable the coil, and injectors.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:30 PM
magnethead
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the ASD relay.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 DK V8-Is there a way to prime oil system

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: