DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech-67/)
-   -   Power Window (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech/439783-power-window.html)

Dodgevity 01-19-2022 12:22 AM

Power Window

Driver's side window has been making a bit of noise as it would reach it's apex when being rolled up. Right before it closes fully, It sounded like something between a chirp and a grind and it did get a bit slower. Figured something was wearing out. This evening it just stopped working altogether ...not a peep from it at all. Anyone had this experience? I'm guessing a new regulator. Mostly see Dormans, but I won't buy their crap. The new stuff is about the same price that the scrap yard would charge me for a used one. Too cold to pull off the panel this evening but I will fix it soon. Don't want to be one of those people opening their door at the drive-thru. LOL

steve05ram360 01-19-2022 03:59 AM

planning to document your work? (writeup with pics?)

Dodgevity 01-19-2022 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by steve05ram360 (Post 3535390)
planning to document your work? (writeup with pics?)

Not to worry, there are plenty of videos out there on this subject.

ol' grouch 01-19-2022 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgevity (Post 3535387)
Driver's side window has been making a bit of noise as it would reach it's apex when being rolled up. Right before it closes fully, It sounded like something between a chirp and a grind and it did get a bit slower. Figured something was wearing out. This evening it just stopped working altogether ...not a peep from it at all. Anyone had this experience? I'm guessing a new regulator. Mostly see Dormans, but I won't buy their crap. The new stuff is about the same price that the scrap yard would charge me for a used one. Too cold to pull off the panel this evening but I will fix it soon. Don't want to be one of those people opening their door at the drive-thru. LOL

A lot of videos will show taping the window in the up position. I got a Jeep Grand Cherokee once that ALL the windows had bad regulators. (The blower fan relay was shot too.) It took 3 hours to do the first one but by the time I got to number 4, it took about 30-45 minutes. One thing I do when I change out regulators is used two large suction cups. You can grab the window and move it with those and with the window up, place them on the bottom to hold it in place.

Dodgevity 01-19-2022 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by ol' grouch (Post 3535430)
A lot of videos will show taping the window in the up position. I got a Jeep Grand Cherokee once that ALL the windows had bad regulators. (The blower fan relay was shot too.) It took 3 hours to do the first one but by the time I got to number 4, it took about 30-45 minutes. One thing I do when I change out regulators is used two large suction cups. You can grab the window and move it with those and with the window up, place them on the bottom to hold it in place.

I just helped out a buddy last week when the passenger front window in his Silverado stopped working. That's exactly what we did... taped the window at the top to support it. After replacing the regulator assembly, we found out it wasn't the regulator all along. Eventually found a bunch of broken wires in the wiring harness that stretches from chassis to door. Apparently Chevy makes the wires too thin and they eventually break inside the boot from all the flexing of the door operating. Now the passenger window goes up much faster than the driver's side. LOL

Once we got done with his truck, mine started making sounds for the first time during my drive home. Go figure.

supadoom 01-20-2022 12:19 AM

Might try cleaning out the section of the door that it slides in. I had one squeal on the last inch or two and was able to get it to stop after cleaning out some oily gunk.

steve05ram360 01-20-2022 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by ol' grouch (Post 3535430)

This is why forums are great... ideas not thought of that can be applied in the future... thanks for posting that.

Dodgevity 01-20-2022 10:20 AM

On my buddy's truck.... when we installed the new regulator and found it wasn't working either, the regulator was in the window down position, so nothing to hold the window up but strong packing tape. It was dark so we left it that way. The next day, before we figured out the broken wires in the harness, we ran two wires directly from the battery and touched them to the regulator plug leads to raise the mechanism up to the window.

Dodgevity 01-22-2022 07:44 PM

Well no rain or fog today (rare these days in ATL) and the temps got up to the low 40's, so I got started on troubleshooting the driver's window issue. I haven't purchased any parts yet but if it just needs a motor. They do sell them separately, vs getting a whole unit. I get ZERO sound or effort when I push the switch.

First snag.... the window was all the way up and would not budge. I checked the plug and I'm getting 12V when the button is pressed, so the issue had to be with the motor. It's necessary to bring down the window part way in order to reach the bolts that attach the regulator arm to the window. You can't manually push it down, so I started tapping around the motor area with a hammer, hoping to shock the motor into action. Then I jiggled the harness wire at the motor and it sprang to life. Of course, I'm doing all this while mashing the window button. Well, I was caught like a monkey with his hand in the peanut jar, who doesn't know how to drop the peanuts. I really didn't expect it to work and it surprise me, so I didn't let go of the button fast enough. Scary indeed as one arm was all inside the door. Anyway just a few scrapes. It got cold so I'll be back on it tomorrow. Seems to be an open in the wire leading from the plug to the motor, so maybe fixable.

Dodgevity 01-23-2022 02:56 PM

This job is done. I traced it down to an open in the red and yellow power wires right where you see them here. Couldn't tell with the naked eye nor could I feel a break, but the motor would stop when the wires were jiggled right there.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dodgefo...dbdc1be037.jpg

Broke out the soldering gun and spliced in some new wire. All back together and working again.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dodgefo...f5643723b3.jpg