2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

3.9... new guy on the block.. questions. thanks

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 10:08 PM
DieselSmoke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.9... new guy on the block.. questions. thanks

hey, this is my first post here. I'll Introduce myself. I'm Trevor Bouma, out of michigan. I'm a 16 yearold highschool student. I'm in need of a truck. being that i like dodges it seemed only right to come here. Actually i have looked at many different models and makes and its hard to beat a dakota in my situation. let me explain.

i currently own a lumina LTZ 3.8 liter, leather and all that BS. anyway this car has 115k on it, and isnt holding up well. besides, what farm boy doesnt want a truck... anyway i'm in search of a truck.

i've been looking at lot and for what i can afford (7000 bux, and under 60 k miles) the only other truck i see is a ford ranger. However, i really like the dodge dakota so i'm here. I've found quite a few of these trucks that fit my discreption, just a plain jane 2 wheel drive, standard cab, shortbox truck. The only thing that concerns me is the 3.9 engine. i've talked to a few mechanics, and owners and have heard mixed reiviews. mechanics say its a rattly, oil sucking money pit, people i've known have said its the gutless wonder, but runs well.? i'm really not to worried about it being gutless, but once i buy this i dont want to be putting money in it everytime i turn around like i'm doing with this car. I figured you guys here have owned them and i'm sure some of you are very knowledgable of them. Whats the real story behind this engine. DO u guys think if i went with a 2001 or newer standard cab short box dakota with a 3.9, and a 5 speed it would be somewhat reliable. the only work purposes i would be having would be pulling my bass boat and hauling my quad. Thanks again in advance for all the help

Old 04-15-2006, 12:44 AM
AlanWS6
Default RE: 3.9... new guy on the block.. questions. thanks

I'm new to the Dodge world (more of a GM kinda guy), but I bought a 99 reg cab short bed 3.9 4X4 (cheap 4X4) last fall w/ 68k on it. So, from my experience, here's what I've got--uses zero oil, but is slow, although it is a 4X4 (added weight) and my other vehicle is a Trans Am, which makes most rides seem slow. All I have done is replace the plugs and wires, but it has recently started to get poor gas mileage (down from 17-18 to 14 MPG). I havn't figured that out yet, but that's probably due to nothing but age. So, conclusion: fast enuf and enough muscle for what u are needing, and seems to be reliable in the 7000 miles I have put on it. Mine is an auto, so I don't know about the manual trannys on these trucks. Good luck in your truck buying experience.

Old 04-16-2006, 07:36 PM
PapaSmurf47

I have had mine since 8-03 and the only money ive put into it was maintance (belt, oil changes ect.) and for things i want. The only thing that kinda sucks is its a bit slow for me. The K&N and exaust helped a decent amount but it makes me wish i looked for the 4.2 V8. From what ive been told it gets about the same MPG but has more power. But it was a good deal and it was there

Hope this helps

Old 04-16-2006, 09:14 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: DieselSmoke
mechanics say its a rattly, oil sucking money pit
Not really. I got a 96 (old body style) with the 3.9, with 92K miles, it uses no oil, and, from what I have read from other people with the same engine, should last for a long time. (which is why I bought the truck)
As AlanWS6 said, the 3.9 wasn't really known for its great mileage. I'm getting 15 highway (on a good day) and 12 city, so, its a gas gussler. (still trying to find the reason)
The power isn't too bad (of course, everything could be better) -- be happy your not buying a $28K Dakota with a whimpy 4.7L.
My opinion: go with a Dakota with a 5.2L if you can find one in your range. The 3.9L actually is a 5.2L with 2 cylinders cut off, gets about the same mileage, and has more power.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-16-2006, 11:48 PM
stantheman
Professional

I own a 96 myself, with the 3.9 in it. If you find one that is rattling just replace the timing chain, they all end up doing it at some point. Unless it came eqipped with the tensioner. When i bought mine the chain was rattling alot, was about to walk away from the truck when i was told they all do it and how to fix it.
Doesnt use or burn oil unless the intake bed pan gasket is leaking, which is an easy fix. Its an automobile and things do go wrong with all of them. Mine has the 5 speed in it and have had no probs yet out of it. If you buy an auto just keep the maintance up on it and you shouldnt have any either. They are great trucks and would think you would like them to. Speacially alot better than a damn ford. Those are money pits.
Never really calculated mileage but never really cared either. Its better than a v8 though. But if your pulling things you might want the 5.2 or the 4.7 which ever you find.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:07 AM
titan2087
Veteran

Iv got a 2003 reg cab 5 speed manuel with the 3.9l 2wd with 20k miles. you no just the plain jane sxt model. Bought it with 10k on it taken it across counrty 2s with the bed loaded i got 21mpg on the highway (that was before i had put any mods to it) So far shes been a charm iv done all the regular maitnece on her and no problems as of yet nock on wood lol. If your looking for speed the 3.9 isnt the place to look but it is reliable iv had no oil usage, allthough i tohught i did 1s (figures the 1st and only time i take it in to a shop to get the oil changed cause i was short for time at the moment they mess up, but turns out they didnt have the oil filter on tight and it was seeping just needed a quick tightening of the hand, cursed pepboys lol but thats a good reason to do all the work on your veichels yourself). Although adding a airintake and exhaust have made a very noticable diffrence and would highly recommend it. Good luck with your findings.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:26 AM
Dakota736

I have a 98 3.9L dakota with a lot of mods on it. (miles 118k) it runs strong but it has a heavy knock. It has some pep but these guys are right the 4.7 or the 5.2 is worth finding. One guy above said that the 4.7 in wimpy but this in not true. The 4.7s are known to beat the 5.9L. They also get better milage then the 5.2. Just dont be fooled about these motors they all last a very long time. My beat my 3.9 like no motor deserves and it is still chugging along. No oil burning or anything like that.

Good luck with your search.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:29 PM
dodgehemi2003

hey hows it going i just turned 16 and i too liked the dodges so i bought a 99 dakota reg cab 4x4 5.2V8 with a 5 speed manual tranny. i love this truck it has more power than i could ever need. i payed about 7 grand for it with 80K miles. i am just warning you 2wd dakotas cant go through anything at all my cousin has one he is always getting stuck but i live in mn where there is snow so if you dont drive in snow and dont go off road a 2wd might work. my cousins truck is a 3.9 and it has decent power and it towes a boat fairly easily. the 3.9 is also realiable but ya if u could find a 318 or a 360 it would be well worth it. as far as mileage goes in the winter i get 12 in the city and 15 highway in the summer i get 15 city 17 highway

Quick Reply: 3.9... new guy on the block.. questions. thanks