2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Aftermarket Radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 03:25 PM
lil
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Radio

Which brand is the best aftermarket brand to replace the stock radio?.....i.e. Sony, JVC, Alpine, etc....???

Old 01-01-2007, 04:05 PM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Aftermarket Radio

i've got a pioneer i like it. my friend wes has a sony its about a year old and its already crapping out. best bet is find a cd player that you dont have to flip the face down to put in a cdbecausethe points where the wires connect wear out prematurely if you swap cd's a lot. *wes's sony you had to flip the faceplate down* alpine is good also. not much experience with other brands on my part

Old 01-01-2007, 05:24 PM
beAn2

To tell you the truth, depending on the features that you want, you can get a really nice cd player without alot of $green$. My recomendations are cd/mp3 player with a standard face as said before. The ribbon on most cd players will go bad if used constantly. If you want to spend the money and get a all in one package, my buddy just picked up a new slip screen cd/mp3/dvd player with like a 5" screen from Circuit City for like 400 bucks. Really nice too. My best advice for you though is to go to a local car audio shop that is always packed. They know what they do haha. Good luck.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:05 PM
rappin_trashman
Professional

let me just say...this is my personal opinion

Alpine...is the best...might be a little pricey...but they use great lasers...i have a hard time finding a cd that doesnt play in alpine...

Sony=sucks...have had nothing but bad experiences with the company from computers to cd players

Pioneer= its ok i guess for the price...but everyone and their brother has one

Kenwood= pretty good value sometimes is expensive depending on the model

anything else is either no-name brand(crappy) or...to expensive for the average man to afford =o)

Old 01-01-2007, 06:16 PM
mopar98
All Star

I have always liked Pioneer for the price u can't beat them and they can be pretty dependable .
If u got the cash go for the Alpine. Stay away from cheapy units .

Old 01-01-2007, 06:23 PM
DakotaMan
Veteran

I have a Pioneer in mine also and i like it

Old 01-01-2007, 06:37 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a JVC deck in my 99 and I love it. and I have a sony xplod deck in my 88 and its pretty good.

my sony one plays cd,mp3 and you can hook an ipod up to it. I think it was around $200

my JVC plays cd,mp3. I've had it for about 2 years now and no problems. and i think it was around $500

you can get a decent cd player now for under $200. but I would just go to a stereo shop and they'll know whats best for you

Old 01-01-2007, 06:58 PM
2000Dakotadriver
Rookie

I have a Pioneer in mine that I got off of ebay for a good price. The original owner used about 2 weeks before he took it out and put in a head unit with a touch screen. I have not had any problems with mine at all. On my deck however I do not have a ribbon of wire connecting the faceplate to the deck it is 4 pins that interlock when I push the faceplate back up. I think with that idea it won't wear out. I agree with rappin-trashman and his list. Alhough one deck that I think may have been overlooked is Panasonic. In the past their decks never really impressed me but now these days thaey have added tons of really cool features that i haven't seen other manafactures offer....yet. So basically it all depends on your personal preference on what you want you deck to do. Also I know crutchfield can be expensive but the service and support that I have got from them is second to none. When I ordered my deck from ebay I called them and ordered a wiring harness from them. Made my installation a breeze.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:28 PM
1RewdRam

If you have the bucks ........ Alpine

If you want a great solid unit for a good price ....... Pioneer

Most others are disposable

Old 01-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Minion
Professional

i had a jvc in my old truck but i left yhe lights on and the battery died, the deck would not ejectt he cd and it would only play the cd when the truck was running(if you wnet to a radio station then back to a cd, the cd would not play)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Radio