2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Issue in tranny

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 06:07 PM
varsis
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue in tranny

Okay, I have a 1997 dakota 3.9 L 4x4 etx cab and it was earlier not shifting into second gear so I adjusted the band and now it will shift fine when it is cold, but once it warms it starts to act up. One thing it does it starts to shift abnormally i will be going and it will give it a bit more gas and instead of shifting in 3rd second will jump in. Then it will not upshift after this so I am basically stuck with first and second. But after I stop when it is warm it will begin not to shift. I have to punch it then let off thegas to get second gear. But no 3rd or 4th will exsist. Sometimes I can pull off the road stop, turn off the truck turn it back on and it will work until I come to a complete stop agian. The fluid level is fine and i don't know what else would do this it seems very strange. Any help please

Chris

Old 01-19-2007, 03:49 AM
varsis
Record Breaker
Default RE: Issue in tranny

anyone help, I really need it. I don't have money for a shop, and it works fine in cold (or when it is cold the truck) but in it's normal temp it kills. Maybe a filter and fluid change... not sure I just did this though but last time i smelt the fluid and it smelt burnt but not sure what is burnt and whats not lol.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:53 AM
corri

dude, im telling ya. governor pressure sensor and governor solenoid. costs about 175 for both parts. takes about 45 minutes to do. i had the exact same problem. plus the tranny gets flushed.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:20 AM
corri

ok here ya go. drop tranny pan. let all thefluid drain out. there are 6 bolts that need to come out. unplug the two electronic connectors. the two parts you need are right there. pull them out, what looks like gasket needs to be removed carefully! take out the retaining clip.
repeat process backwards for install. on the solenoid/transducer there are very small filters that get clogged.
my truck threw the 1757 code, use the search on here and you will find that this is a very common problem.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:41 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

I don't have any codes thought nothing at all.

Chris

Old 01-19-2007, 01:58 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

if its burnt its your clutch packs slipping...burnt smells well burnt get some new tranny fluid and smell that that is what your fluid should smell like what color is the fluitd..........???

Old 01-19-2007, 03:27 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

The color is fine it just does not shift properly. But it is very strange, sometimes it will shift but it does all the time when it is cold. I usally have to punch it to get it to shift properly when it is warm. This sometimes works all most always I will pull over on the road, turn off the truck with the key, start agian and go it usally works, but won't work once I come to a complete stop. It is very strange not sure if it is something inside or electronic or anything it just is bad luck, I am probably going to sell unless I have to fork out money for a transmission.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:33 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Default RE: Issue in Tanny

sounds like either something is clogged in one of your valve bodies inside the transmission, but more sounds like a governor issue maybe a bad solenoid? not for sure id start with a Tanny either flush if that is what you have done in the past or a pan and filter...

Travis

Old 01-19-2007, 09:36 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

I have done the pan and filter twice, flushed it twice so no worries there. A mechanic told me today, the tranny was garbage and should be rebuilt. He said the seals were probably going and the whole thing needed to be over hauled. I don't know but it seems to be worse when it's warmer, it seems to be getting worse but he said it shifting into first was the failure system showing there is a problem but it usally still shifts into second so Im not sure? Take the valve body out and clean it?

Chris

Old 01-19-2007, 11:44 PM
corri

would you rather spend 175.00 or 1500.00? it wont hurt anything to change out the sensors. besides always start with the least expensive part to replace. search other dodge web sites.

Quick Reply: Issue in tranny