2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Cheapest place to get thermostat? Also some general questions on performance..

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:37 PM
red9535
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheapest place to get thermostat? Also some general questions on performance..

Im getting my superchips from ebay, but i figure i'll need to run a 180 tstat too once I get that, so i'm doing them both at the same time. Where's everyone getting their 180 degree thermostats these days? Got a website I can order them from? Cheapest one?

Also, whats the next thing I should do? I have the 3.9 v6.

So far, i've done:
K&N Cold Air Intake
Exhaust
4.56 gears

now i'm doing:
superchips 3715
180 degree thermostat

What next? I've got a blower that i'm putting on it in the summer, but what til then? I'm thinking headers, but thats really pricey.

Also, who has experience with superchips? Noticable gains? Worth the money? What all can you do with it?

Old 04-23-2007, 10:44 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cheapest place to get thermostat? Also some general questions on performance..

Headers are really pricey, and you've already done a gear swap ($500 installed) and you already have a blower ($2kish on up)???

Just go to schucks/autozone/etc. for the thermostat.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:08 PM
red9535
Professional
Default RE: Cheapest place to get thermostat? Also some general questions on performance..

ORIGINAL: horatio102

Headers are really pricey, and you've already done a gear swap ($500 installed) and you already have a blower ($2kish on up)???

Just go to schucks/autozone/etc. for the thermostat.
Well, I got my gears for $230, and installed them with my uncle, so I didn't pay a cent for the installation. And, my uncle has a blower off of a 3.8 Thunderbird that he said would fit nicely on my truck, so I got the supercharger for free too, and won't be paying a penny to install it, my uncle and I will just do it.

Yeah, my uncle was a mechanic for 10ish years, and now works on cars as a hobby. Lucky me eh?

So yes, $400 for headers that i've heard don't really help that much.. 2-3 hp tops, is expensive.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:51 PM
f0x672
Champion

the superchips may react funny to the mods, if u do your rearch.... superchips were created on a complete stock setup... including the the intake elbow on the airbox..... ijust have the k&n Wai... im getting the superchips programmer so, it shouldnt be to drastic of a change

Old 04-24-2007, 01:27 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya, I noiced a good inprovement with my superchips. but I just like how you can clear codes with it.

and its designed for a basically stock motor, if you s/c it you will probly have to get a custom tune anyways. how much miles are on your truck? I would put a s/c on a high miles motor, unless your gonna rebuild it.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:04 AM
red9535
Professional

ORIGINAL: jonnymagnum

ya, I noiced a good inprovement with my superchips. but I just like how you can clear codes with it.

and its designed for a basically stock motor, if you s/c it you will probly have to get a custom tune anyways. how much miles are on your truck? I would put a s/c on a high miles motor, unless your gonna rebuild it.
Well, i'm not putting the blower on for a few months anyway, so i'm thinking i'll buy the superchips and enjoy it, then just go back to stock once i put the blower on and sell the superchips tuner. The motor has 59k on it too, so it will be fine. I should be able to get superchips on ebay for like 250, then sell it back for the same amount once we put the blower on.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:49 PM
chris1974
Veteran

Damn....your uncle doesn't have an extrasuper charger for a 4.7 does he?? You will have to keep us posted on how she runs after the mod!! [sm=gears.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 04-25-2007, 02:56 AM
horatio102
Champion

Are you fabricating the intake manifold? What are you going to do about fuel management?

Old 04-25-2007, 10:05 AM
red9535
Professional

ORIGINAL: horatio102

Are you fabricating the intake manifold? What are you going to do about fuel management?
Not yet, and nothing yet. I'm starting off running 6-8 lbs of boost, and with that low of boost, the stock injectors and fuel pump will be fine. Once I can get around to porting my heads, new fuel pump, better injectors, I'll add more boost.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:52 PM
horatio102
Champion

I'd be interested in seeing the A/F ratio at 6/8 and your injector duty cycle. Stock injectors generally don't have a lot of room for increased performance because the bigger the injector the worse it aerates at low flow levels (typically) which hurts idle and low-rpm response. You're definately going to want to think about an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a higher flowing fuel pump.

Quick Reply: Cheapest place to get thermostat? Also some general questions on performance..