2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 Dodge Dakota HVAC blower problem

Old 08-03-2007, 08:43 PM
terry s
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dodge Dakota HVAC blower problem

The blower will not run on any speed. Fuses are ok. Bolwer runs when I put 12v to it. I checked the 2 prong connector coming to the blower. One terminal lights a test light. The other does not have continuity to ground. I pulled the resister card. With it plugged in all legs have continuity to ground. I am not sure but maybe the fan switch is bad. I cannot see how to get the fan switch out.
Any help will be appreciated.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:52 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2002 Dodge Dakota HVAC blower problem

well that isnt good...change the resistor! lol

Old 08-04-2007, 12:54 AM
terry s

Thanks Travis. How do I test the resister card before I buy a new one and find out the old one is ok?[:@]

Old 08-05-2007, 10:02 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

you did they shouldnt all have continuity...its a 15 dollar part dealer only however, you may want to make sure that your a/c drain isnt draining back into your truck onto your passinger floorboard...this is what shorted mine out

Old 08-05-2007, 11:01 AM
terry s

Thanks Travis. Problem solved. With the resistor card plugged in to the wiring harness all legs did have continuity to ground. I could not get the plug to come off the resistor card. Looking carefully at the plug one of the wires had the insulation slightly melted and there was a tiny bit of green corrosion on the wire. It appears that one connection was bad and had burned it's self in to. There was no continuity from that wire to the resistor. When I jumpered from the wire to the resistor terminal all fan speeds work fine. Although the resistor card seems to be fine I can't get it off of the connector so I bought a new resistor card and ordered a new plug. Resistor $10 and plug $12.
As a band aid I crammed 2 pieces of .032" stainless steel safety in the bad terminal and all speeds work fine for now. Iths might keep working until Tuesday when the new plug is supposed to be here.
Thanks for the AC drain tip. There was no sign of that being a problem but I will check it anyway.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:01 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

good to hear! on mine the water would roll out of the drain stub (it just stubs about 1/4 inch outa the firewall) then the water would roll back into the cab...idk if that makes since or not

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge Dakota HVAC blower problem