2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

Truck overheating and smoking

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 01:06 PM
warfel87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck overheating and smoking

I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab with a 4.7L V8. Yesterday driving home from work I noticed my truck smoking. I checked the gauge and it was a little higher than normal but not past half way. I was just about home so I took it easy and and parked it. It was smoking bad from down near the fan and belt. I thought I heard a leak in the lower radiator hose. I checked it and all the hoses but didnt see or feel anything. I removed the lower hose anyway but it looked fine. Also there was coolant all over the engine. Looked like it had srayed everywhere. I put the hode back on and even replaced the cap just too make sure. It still overheated and started smoking after I drove it around the Parking lot a few times. I'm wondering if it may be the thermostat cause I never got a hight reading before it overheated, but also am wondering if the water pump was bad. I have no clue. Cant really drive it anywhere to get it looked at but I dont know how to change the pump or stat. Can someone help me datermine what it might be and good instructions or where to find them on replacing it. Thanks

Josh

Old 12-08-2007, 04:08 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 223 Likes on 208 Posts
Default RE: Truck overheating and smoking

welcome to DF...

dont let that motor overheat!!! aluminum heads warp and once they warp, you'll have to yank them off to get them resurfaced. check your water pump weep hole and maybe your radiator for a leak.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:34 PM
warfel87

Yeah when it happened, I parked it. But while parking it kinda stuck and froze a lil while turning. I was worried that I might have screwed it up, but after checking everything and refilling with coolant, i drove it a little and it ran but overheated again. Dont know what to do. Guess im gona try to make it to a close auto shop mon. The fan also looks loose? It kinda wobbles and shakes a little. Dont think it is supposed to that much. I dont know... im broke and not shure how to go about fixing it.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:22 PM
olsarge
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be that condensation built up on the radiator and when the thermostat open the rush of hot water vaporized the condensation. It scared me the first time it happened. Happens when conditions are just right. Just keep a close eye on the temp. gauge and if it is staying normal don't worry too much. Just keep checking.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:51 PM
warfel87

no its definatly overheating. the check guages light came on and it has done it twice now. the truck also froze up a little the first time when i went to park.. the steering wheel was slipping. something is wrong, but im guessing the pump although it may be the thermastat. guess im gona have to take it to the shop monday.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:38 PM
skeeter0288
Professional

your fan mounts to the front of the water pump.if it wobbles,the bearings in your pump could be shot,and could be the cause of overheating.still need to find the leak though.do you see any dripping onto the gound?

Old 12-09-2007, 08:54 PM
warfel87

You were right skeeter. The water pump was bad making the fan wobble. I bought a new pump for $57 and it fixed my problem. No more overheating or leaking. Had a little trouble getting the fan and clutch off the pump so when I got the new pump from Pep Boys, they took it off with some special wrench. Since I didnt have a wrench, it was also a little trouble putting it back on. Made sure to get it on there real tight though.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys.

Josh

Quick Reply: Truck overheating and smoking