2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2-3 Shifting Problems

Old 11-19-2008, 12:07 PM
4x4kota
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my tranny re-built. The shop said that about 150,000km's is the expected lifespan for these tranny's. Clutches wear and valves get clogged. She shifts SOOO nice now!!

Old 11-19-2008, 02:28 PM
2KDDRT

Originally Posted by 4x4kota
I just had my tranny re-built. The shop said that about 150,000km's is the expected lifespan for these tranny's. Clutches wear and valves get clogged. She shifts SOOO nice now!!
Kota, I see you are in Ontario - just south of the GTA. Where did you have this done and what did it end up costing you?

Old 11-20-2008, 12:40 AM
big.bryant
Champion

you know how you can fix all of this?... just get a 5 speed lol ... j/k just not being productive

Old 11-20-2008, 12:47 AM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big.bryant
just not being productive
what else is new? LOL

yeah i have that 2-3 prob every now and then. my main concern is i miss the 1-2 shift a WOT. my rev limiter LOOOOOVES me. lol. ima have it looked at eventually, but as long as it gets me from A-B ill let it be until the spring time.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:50 AM
big.bryant
Champion

yeah i like having the added control that manuals are able to give... i hate automatics... hate them... !!!!

Old 11-20-2008, 10:30 AM
4x4kota
Veteran

Originally Posted by 2KDDRT
Kota, I see you are in Ontario - just south of the GTA. Where did you have this done and what did it end up costing you?
I had it done in niagara falls at a place called astro transmission. A real hole in the wall shop, only 2 bays, but I was told that they were the best. Nice guys and treated you like a human being.

As for cost, well it was a little steep because I grenaded my planetary gearset as well... It ended up being almost 3 grand. It also came with a one year, 20,000 km warranty, but the guy told me that he wouldn't hold me to that timeframe. All in all I'm happy with it. It shifts nice now, and hasn't hit the rev limiter again, although I'm trying to take her easy.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:12 PM
2KDDRT

Originally Posted by 4x4kota
I had it done in niagara falls at a place called astro transmission. A real hole in the wall shop, only 2 bays, but I was told that they were the best. Nice guys and treated you like a human being.

As for cost, well it was a little steep because I grenaded my planetary gearset as well... It ended up being almost 3 grand. It also came with a one year, 20,000 km warranty, but the guy told me that he wouldn't hold me to that timeframe. All in all I'm happy with it. It shifts nice now, and hasn't hit the rev limiter again, although I'm trying to take her easy.
Thanks for the info! I'll look into further should it get any worse! Seems to be doing okay after it warms up.

Old 12-04-2022, 02:15 AM
Nopimom
Default 2-3 shifting problems

Originally Posted by rchweir
Hi there,

I tried looking around the forums a bit to see if I could find and answer but I think I got loaded with too much information (Im not a mechanical guy, so mechanical words scare me)

Anyways, about a week ago, my truck started acting a little weird shifting from 2-3 (auto). It seems like it doesnt want to shift in to 3rd. Sometime when it hits about 3k rpm, ill let off the gas and it shifts in to third, most times it will stay a high rpm for about 3 mins before it decides to shift on its own.

I was told a tranny fluid/filter change might do the trick, a leaking seal,or a modual replacement?, or utimatly a new transmission. Im hoping its not my third/fourth option. The truck has 150 000km on it.

Im just looking for what you guys think before I bring it to a mechanic shop and get charged an astronomical amount, when I could have fixed it for alot cheaper.

Thanks for your help,

Ryan
2-3 ​​​​​did you ever find the solution?

Old 12-04-2022, 08:02 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Nopimom
2-3 ​​​​​did you ever find the solution?
Doubt if you'll get a reply. Op only has two posts on this forum and they're in this 14 year old thread.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2-3 Shifting Problems