2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

E85 Conversion

Old 04-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Twiztid
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E85 Conversion

There is no 1 solution to the gas problem. Different forms of transportation should use diff fuels in my opinion. E85 decreases mileage and increases the over all consumption of oil and ethenol in the long run. Just because Bush makes it cheaper now for consumers doesn't mean it is the answer. I was just in San Francisco, and all of the public trans vehicles are electric or natural gas for example.

I think desiel will be the best thing in the long run for the everyday consumer. While desiel might bemore expensive, we have desiel motorsthat are getting 48 highway mpg. In europethere are desiel motors that are getting 50mpg andstill making 300hp.Once the USAcan adapt and get no-sulfur desiel, the desiel movement will start. Also you can convert desiel motors into grease burners or bio-desiel motors....burning veg oil...whats better then that?

I do believe in global warming, and believe that no matter what we do, the world is so addicted to oil that it would take a globaliceage to break the addiction.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:14 PM
big.bryant
Champion

first of all, thanks to everyone that responded so quickly. this is why i have been debating this issue so much is because there is a strong cause for proponents and opponents of the fuel. i am not a hugh tree hugger (duh i drive a truck) and in the long run just want to save as much money as possible on the gas bill ($400 a month for a 17 year old is pretty bad). has anybody acctually done a conversion like this that knows first hand how it effected both mileage, performance and overall cost/ savings? thanks for the help

also twiztd and dragon8master, to be honest with you, i really am no worried about the global problem, as that is really out of my concern but i think that using crops (something replenishable) and taking the money out of the OPEC's pockets is the better way to go

Old 04-05-2008, 01:01 AM
ricbrk
Professional

My wife has the 07 Escape hybrid, and she is getting 34 mpg in combined driving. 28-29 in the winter with the 4x4. I at first thought the little 2.3 liter 4 cyl engine wouldn't cut it, but it isunbelievably surprising. We test drove the v-6 version of the same suv, and it wasn't any more powerful. I still am crossing my fingers as to how long the batteries last. The hybridoption was $1,500 more. Gas wasn'tquite the price it is now when we bought it. I figure at todays gas prices, it may recover the extra $1,500. We did not buy the extended warranty, so hopefully the system will hold up. It takes a while to get used to, as under 25 mph, it only runs on the electric motor, and it is whisper quiet. You almost don't expect it to move when you push the gas pedal. Maybe this technology is the way to go ??? At an average of500 miles per tank until the fuellight comes on, maybe it is ???

Old 04-05-2008, 02:12 PM
dragon8master
Professional

Now, I think that a hybrid is a good idea that still needs some tweaking. The Prius was/is a very poor execution of this idea. But, they are getting there, like that concept that is supposed to be the 'next Supra'; with a gas motor in front and an electric in back making a combined 400 HP. That would be more like it. I mean there are street legal Supras and such running around getting 20+ mpg that also make 800 - 1000+HP (and sure maybe that HP number is only with nitrous, but you get the idea). So,I think they could make a 500 - 600 HP hybrid carthat is capable of 60+ mpg. Maybe I'm stretching a little? Sorry to get offthe main topic a little but I thought that was an idea worth mention.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E85 Conversion