2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Any videos on how to remove fan clutch?

Old 09-04-2008, 10:31 AM
syllinx
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any videos on how to remove fan clutch?

I have never touched the fan clutch in my life but the shop here but clutch from autozone and it roars for like 10 minutes every time I start truck. I feel only chance to fix it is to buy a mopar/oem clutch and install it. I will be stuck doing this alone so I will need some help please. Lol are there any Dodge clubs here in Dallas or Mckenny Tx?

Old 09-04-2008, 10:48 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is super easy to do and you could even just go without the clutch fan. just get two pairs of fairly big plyers and hold onto the pully with one and then just twist the nut on the pully thats holding the fan on to the left and spin it off super super easy trust me i was scared at first too but its mad easy.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:58 AM
syllinx
Veteran
Default I'll have to get some good pliers lol.

I will check it out soon. Winter will be coming up and no fan should be ok. Wish I wasn't at work. I forgot to ask, is the electric fan suppose to cycle between a lower and higher speed? Mines on full blast all the time so I should be ok lol.

Last edited by syllinx; 09-04-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:24 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

lol yeah i think it has two settings but i'm not really sure, i took mine off for a little but the truck got a little higher then i would have liked so i put it back on till it gets cold out, it was fine most of the time it was just those 90 degree plus days with short trips that would make it to get up around 210, as soon as it gets cold out here though im taking it back off.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:36 AM
syllinx
Veteran

Does taking the fan clutch off help horsepower any?

Old 09-04-2008, 12:50 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

over on another forum a lot of people were saying its an easy 10 horse and while i wont say that it did seem to make my throttle a little more responsive so yeah i'd say it gives you a little some people notice it others don't i think the correct term would be it reduce the parasitic loss? don't quote me on that wording though lol

Old 09-04-2008, 02:56 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

Originally Posted by syllinx
Does taking the fan clutch off help horsepower any?

You can feel a difference from the start, it's nothing too big.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:11 PM
fourpointseven
Professional

So, The E-Fan that comes stock on the dakota Should be fine alone??? My fan is starting to make a little noise so it would be nice to remove it.. but see, i do a bit of mudding and slow speeds on high RPM.. So it would build a little heat Can the efan take that punishment? Or will I have to upgrade a better e-fan??.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:06 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Originally Posted by TheePlaymaker
over on another forum a lot of people were saying its an easy 10 horse and while i wont say that it did seem to make my throttle a little more responsive so yeah i'd say it gives you a little some people notice it others don't i think the correct term would be it reduce the parasitic loss? don't quote me on that wording though lol
That is the perfect term.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any videos on how to remove fan clutch?