2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New tranny now truck wont idle and stay running

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 09:09 PM
BetterOffAlone76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New tranny now truck wont idle and stay running

I recently had to replace the transmission in my 2002 dodge dakota rt and now it will not stay running...it will not idle it dies every time. I can rev the motor up and even drive it and it will stay running...til i come to a stop and it has to idle. There is no problems with the motor or any other part under the hood or the rest of the truck at all. The transmission i put in it is a brand new dyno tested transmission...why will it not stay running on an idle? My fiance is a certified mechanic 55 years old and has done nothing but mechanic work his whole life and is very good at what he does...he has been trying to figure this out and been working on it every day for the last 2 weeks and hes boggled...this is the very first thing i have seen him not be able to fix or has even gotten stumped on...any suggestions or solutions? Any and all help is appreciated. Tia

Old 10-14-2021, 09:19 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

replace the crankshaft position sensor. You banged it with the bellhousing when the trans was put on the dowel pins.

Been there, done that, was frustrated as F*ck until somebody told me to replace it.

Old 10-14-2021, 09:34 PM
BetterOffAlone76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

We will definately take a look at that tomorrow. When you hit yours with the bellhouseing did your truck still run and drive and only die when idling? My new transmission slid right on in with no hesitation issues problems and without even causing so much as a deep breath while being put in. It went in easier than pouring completely melted butter onto a croissant or something. But we are definately checking it first thing in the morning...if not tonight!!!! Thank you soooooo much

Old 10-14-2021, 09:43 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by BetterOffAlone76
We will definately take a look at that tomorrow. When you hit yours with the bellhouseing did your truck still run and drive and only die when idling? My new transmission slid right on in with no hesitation issues problems and without even causing so much as a deep breath while being put in. It went in easier than pouring completely melted butter onto a croissant or something. But we are definately checking it first thing in the morning...if not tonight!!!! Thank you soooooo much
yep, wouldn't idle, would die if put in reverse regardless of throttle. It boggled the living crap out of me - all I did was put a high-stall converter in it.

Quick Reply: New tranny now truck wont idle and stay running