2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Engine Sludge???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:51 PM
AllTerrain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Sludge???

I just changed the oil in my 04 QC 4.7L 4X4. I took off the engine fill cap, and there was yellowish, greenish thick sludge built up all over the cap and down the fill neck. This is the second time i've changed the oil since I bought the truck. I didnt notice this on the previous change because I has a jiffy lube put my oil in. I am using Mobil 1 and this is my second change with it, should I be concerned about this build-up???

Old 11-27-2007, 09:58 PM
varsis
Record Breaker
Default RE: Engine Sludge???

How did the oil run out? Did it look sludged up on that side? Might just be it getting up on the inside of the filler. Oil doesn't really get there.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:23 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

thats normal, to put it easy..its just water that gets burned off and gets stuck up there

Old 11-28-2007, 09:31 AM
4x4kota
Veteran

it's caused by short trips, the engine dosn't totaly heat up and that sludge forms on the cap

Old 11-28-2007, 10:32 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had the same thing in mine scared the **** out of me when i saw it it look like someone put like vanilla pudding down there but after reading around i didn't worry as much. i believe this happens more in the winter because the plastic filler tube heats up and cools down differently then the metal and what every one else in this post said about short trip sand what not. this was the third time i did mine the first two times it was warm out no cold weather yet and i didn't notice it but this last time now that its getting colder i have noticed it a lot. i wouldn't worry about it though just make sure you change your oil and use synthetic if you aren't already.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:15 AM
United1
Professional

I just changed my oil last night, 2000 4.7. Cooler weather and warm engine temps cause condensation in the filler neck, vanilla pudding is the best description I have heard. I have been seeing this for the last 106K miles, always around this time of year. Never have seen any beyond the filler tube, I use a long flathead screwdriver and a rag to wipe out the neck and bottom of the tube. I haven't worried aboutitfor years, not one problem. Now, if you see it draining out of the pan, that's a different story.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:37 PM
AllTerrain

Yes, Vanilla Pudding is exactly what it looks like!!! I didnt see it draining from the pan, just under the cap and down the filler neck. My Mechanic mentioned something about a PCV valve (positive crankcase ventilation) and having a look at that??? Im kinda worried as I just bought the truck in Aug and am now using Mobil 1, I want to keep her for a LONG time!!!

Old 12-01-2007, 11:58 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

its a 5 dollar ball valve, you can change that urself its on the valve cover..

Old 12-01-2007, 05:45 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i changed my pcv valve after i found that stuff in it and haven't really been checking it but it was real easy to change so i would go ahead and do it...if i remember right i had to take out the airbox tho to get to it

Quick Reply: Engine Sludge???