2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2 Wheel Drive Lower Ball Joints How-To w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 11:12 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm glad to know it helped you. I had a hard time finding any online info at all for 2wd Dakota ball joints so I made that post in case it would help anyone else replace theirs.

Jimmy

Old 02-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Brutus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For anyone looking for a great price on the ball joints. I just bought a set from thetireclub. This is their eBay store. Link http://stores.ebay.com/thetireclub

I paid less than $45 for the set. Coni-Seal Brand.
I have used them in other cars, and have had good service from them. And yes they do have a grease fitting.

Thanks Jimmy for the help with this thread.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:41 AM
Independentfool
Veteran

im going to try an air chisel when i get to doing mine. Should speed things up a bit.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Brutus

X2 on the air tool. Im hoping my air hammer drives them right outa Dodge!

Old 02-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Brutus

Just got done doing mine. Those rivets are kinda soft. More than what I thought they would be. A air chisel works great. Knocks them off in no time. The air punch, not so good. I drilled the center with a 5/16, and then a few wacks from side to side on the end of the old joint, and the rivets just fall out. I never messed with the sway bar. As my stud was frozen in the tab after I removed the 17mm nut. I didnt want to break any of that, so I just cut the stud enough to let the new bolt drop thru. Wasnt a issue when knocking off the rivet. Just couldnt place the new bolt in with the new joint. Cutting that will not hurt a bit. So if yours is froze up, just cut it off some. I still have the full threads on the nut after.

All in all not a bad job. I can say one thing. It was half the job as putting lowers in my Sable. That was a nightmare........

Last edited by Brutus; 02-12-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Baby Blue

Well.. I ended up doing all the ball joints, tie rod ends and sway bar pins this evening. The uppers are definitely a bit easier than the lowers but both went pretty well. On the uppers I found that if I drilled out with 1/4" bit, then took a chisel and hit a couple wacks on the bottom side of the rivit they would fall right out.

Last edited by Baby Blue; 02-13-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:06 AM
Independentfool
Veteran

Well my air chisel idea didnt work so well for me. My air compressor couldnt keep up (13 gallon).
So what i ended up doing was grinding the tops of the rivets off with a 3" cut-off, then drilling down the center of the rivets most of the way, then using the air hammer to push them out.
And oddly enough it was only my top BJ that was bad. So i left the bottom for another day.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Brutus

Originally Posted by Independentfool
Well my air chisel idea didnt work so well for me. My air compressor couldnt keep up (13 gallon).
So what i ended up doing was grinding the tops of the rivets off with a 3" cut-off, then drilling down the center of the rivets most of the way, then using the air hammer to push them out.
And oddly enough it was only my top BJ that was bad. So i left the bottom for another day.
Your tops have rivets?

Old 02-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Independentfool
Veteran

yeppers.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:57 PM
plum69
Exclamation

Hi.I can not seem to get the pics to fully download,not sure why,i tried reloading the page,but with no luck.Any help would be great.Thanks

Quick Reply: 2 Wheel Drive Lower Ball Joints How-To w/pics