2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Rubber Gromet Squeek

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:57 PM
SpencerS
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubber Gromet Squeek

hey guys,

When i got my tires changed, i asked the dude to get under there and crank my torsion bars for me. We got em about even and it leveled out the truck. Before hand there was only a slight squeek from around the shocks when going thru pot holes and bumps and stuff, after the crank thesound is pretty apparent now. It doesnt sound like the shocks are squeeking themselves but it sounds like rubber on metal.

When i got under my truck i noticed some rubber gromets where the shocks are mounted. my question is: is there something i could spray on there to lessen the squeek or will i have to jack it up and replace those gromets? or what else could cause the squeek?

thanks for your time!
-spenc

Old 03-23-2010, 12:28 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

well, you can spray those bushings one at a time and take a drive after each one to pin point which bushing is causing the squeak and then replace that bushing.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:28 AM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

Hmmmmm...squeaks when going over bumps? Both sides or just one? I sprayed the hell outta the rubber pieces on the suspension with some kind of spray grease when I had such a squeak, and it worked for about 2 days. Then it started squeaking again and got progressively worse. I ignored it, thinking there was no way I was going to coat my truck with lubricant every day or two.

About 1500 miles later, I noticed obvious wear on the inside of my front tires. The squeak was coming from worn out ball joints.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:48 PM
SpencerS
Captain

ok, will wd-40 work for each individual spray?

Old 03-23-2010, 01:40 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Yeah that'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Rubber Gromet Squeek