2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

rain water leaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rain water leaking

So...rain season has returned and I made a discovery. Seems that there is water leaking on the driver's side floor, and looks to be pretty bad. I haven't tried a smoke generator yet, but I can't seem to find a possible area in which water could be leaking through. I thought it was water leaking from the top of the windshield down the pillar through the kick panel, but I sealed that up, and the problem still persists. So I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems and maybe it's pretty common? any ideas?

Old 04-07-2010, 08:39 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive heard at times its actually coming in threw the back window and ending up front all I can say is park your truck on level ground and peel back your carpet a little bit to expose the floor and make sure the surrouning area is dry. Then start spraying down your truck one section at a time. Spray area for a good 2-5 min then let it sit for about 10 min then check floor. If nothing move on to the next section.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

That's interesting cuz I did notice the water damping out the entire sidestep area, but I wasn't sure if that's because the puddled water from the front traveled through there or it actually did come from the back. When I wash the truck this weekend or whenever I'll give that a shot.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:11 PM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

Back window - mine just started doing that today.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:03 PM
984x4
Professional

Just had my leakage problem fixed. Exactly the symptoms you describe.

Leak will be at the rear window seal. Rain water will run down between the seal and cab, down the inside and down hill to the driver's floor. Mine was so bad I'd have to squeege the water out. The guy that found and fixes it used 2 tubes of silicone around the seal, in and out, and put a drain/weep hole in the floor under the window where it leaked, just in case.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:44 AM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

Well I found the problem today. Apparently it was in fact the windshield, I just sealed the wrong area. I guess some of the seal broke causing the water to leak through right in the middle of the driver's side point of view. The water would leak down the inside, through the dash, finding it's way to the pillar, and dripping behind the kick panel cover. I was left in confusion cuz I did not see any water streaks on the windshield, but I guess it just evaporated cleanly.

Anyway, I just did a good fine sealing of the area and so far no leaks. Though, I'll wait til the next rainfall to know for sure.

Quick Reply: rain water leaking