2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

42re, 44re, 46re

Old 11-27-2016, 06:48 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Yes, they interchange mechanically and electrically. The only oddball is that you'll need a V6 torque convertor because the V8 one will have an offset bolt hole and counterweights. It should slide into the front pump just the same.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:28 PM
LIZZRD
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ha, i know i didn't read it.
sounds like someone may have towed with it before in OD.
If your transmission 'searching' for gears that's a clue to pick one yourself
and do the rest with the throttle.
Transmission coolers are a great thing, yeah depending on the tow weight and the weight of you and your buddies hunting gear for two weeks, but also incline grades and temperature outdoors. It sure doesn't hurt to have one.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:28 AM
Zach Polly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will a 45rfe swap with.44re in my Durango?

Old 02-23-2018, 06:19 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach Polly
Will a 45rfe swap with.44re in my Durango?
Not even close.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:28 AM
Sav Dre

Can I swap a 44re transmission from a 96 grand Cherokee into a 98 ram 1500

Old 03-19-2018, 09:31 PM
TheMadCanadian
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cowboy63645
If your gonna be putting in a stronger tranny, might as well put in a better motor!! From what I have compared from my 42RE to my buddy'e 46RE, they "should" interchange, but you would probably have to go to a dealer to have the computer changed to accept the 46RE. There are different shift patterns at different RPM ranges from what I understand.
no need tog et the stealership to change anything to the computer. first it will shift weirdly and then after some miles it will get normal. the computer will relearn.

Old 02-08-2020, 12:22 AM
Compita Martinez

[QUOTE=JasonMoore16;3318679]
Originally Posted by FireFighterHill
I have the 3.9L with the 42RE

Could I swap in a 46re with out doing any modifications to my truck just bolt/plug and go?[/QUOTE so I know this is a little late but for everybody wanting to know if you can use a 42re 44re or a 46re in replace of any of the above the answer is yes you can also use any of those Transmissions in 2 wheel drive and convert them to 4 wheel drive with no extra parts I just put a 46re out of a 2001 Dodge Dakota 5.9 two wheel drive into a 1998 Dodge Durango 5.2 four wheel drive the only difference between the two is the Bell housings have a couple different bolts holes that don't lineup butt it works just fine you have to take your existing tail shaft which is actually Overdrive and you have to use your existing transfer case once you remove your transmission stand both of them up on end remove the two wheel drive tail housing underneath there's a plate with 2 spacer washers going over the tail shaft remove those and discard both the tail housing and the spacer washers then remove your four wheel drive overdrive tail housing and also remove the plate and spacers over the tail shaft and transfer them over to the new transmission then flip your tail housing over the new transmission be careful not to bend the spacer washers do not force it over the shaft it will slip on easy with just wiggling bolted up then you're ready to install in your vehicle you'll notice on the bellhousing that some bolts you will no longer need but save them because there's other bottles that weren't in your original transmission that you want to fill with those the shift linkage on your original transmission also needs to be transferred to the new transmission you will have to slightly Bend the brackets so that way they line up with your shift cable because on the two wheel drive transmission they are a little lower then on the 4 wheel drive transmission it's not hard to do and you don't have to bend it far cultural transmission all together plug it in but your transfer case of plug that in put everything else back together and you have a working car again I just did this and I know it works I don't care how many people say it doesn't and how many people try to convince you that the tail shaft is not the same in a 2 wheel drive as it is in a 4 wheel drive or the same in a 42re 44re or 46 RE they are all identical I have looked at everyone and I have a vehicle that now it runs and drives just fine with no engine lights and shift smoothly the switching of the two wheel drive transmission to 4 wheel drive transmission is the easiest part of the job it realistically takes about 15 minutes the removal and installation of the transmission itself is very difficult but anybody with a little bit of Automotive knowledge should have no problem handling the job if you have any questions please contact me at @ rmagdolen1@gmail.com. thank you and good luck

Did you use the original torque convertor for the 42RE or swap it for the one on the 46RE?

Old 08-06-2020, 08:29 PM
Tayler Strickland
Default 42re, 44re, 46re

Thank you for the interesting information.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 42re, 44re, 46re