2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Speedometer and odometer not working, replaced both sensors...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 08:34 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by RPMRamFury
So basicly weve narrowed it down to the rear diff sensor is bad or there is gears in the rear diff that are bad. Anyone have any idea how bad of a deal this is, as in am I going to have to rebuild the whole rear diff to get the speedo working or is this something i can fix for relatively cheap? And yes the odo and speedo dont work, but all other guages do.
pop the rear cover off, as you would for a fluid change. The carrier should have a tone ring on it.

Normal 8.25:

Our 8.25:

Old 08-03-2010, 12:55 AM
RPMRamFury
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I'm sorry but I see you said normal 8.25 and our 8.25. What am I supposed to see? I'm mechanicly inclined but don't see what I should be looking for.

I really appriciate your help though, this is a great forum and I hope to be keeping my Dakota forever!

What is a carrier and tone ring, and where are they located in that image?

Thanks for your help, I really really appriciate it because I need to get this fixed because I don't know how fast I'm going.

Last edited by RPMRamFury; 08-03-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:57 AM
tamcnally
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To answer your question about the 33's. I have a 2.7L 4 cyl tacoma with 285/75R16 approx 33x11.50 and it has no problem getting them rolling. But it won't out run any cops and I can't impress my buddies with an smokey burnouts, but it goes down the road just fine so you will be fine with 33's on your 3.9.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:09 PM
RPMRamFury
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for letting me know on that tamcnally, because my friend has a set of 33's sitting around and wants to sell them to me.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:48 AM
magnethead
Legend

In the bottom picture, see what looks like a sprocket behind the ring gear? That drives the sensor.

What the sensor does, is it checks how many tones (teeth) pass by it in a specified time. The more tones it recieves, the faster the vehicle is going. If something happened and a standard 8.25 carrier was put in the axle, it won't have that tone ring. So the sensor won't be picking up any tones to tell the computer the vehicle is moving.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:27 AM
dodgeheller99
Rookie

Hey, arnt these sensors magnetic? maybe there is some old fashion metal shavings sticking to it, causing it to freak out? have you tried just replacing the sensor again, maybe you got a faulty one. or take out the current one and see if there is anything stuck to the end

Old 08-11-2010, 03:52 AM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by dodgeheller99
Hey, arnt these sensors magnetic? maybe there is some old fashion metal shavings sticking to it, causing it to freak out? have you tried just replacing the sensor again, maybe you got a faulty one. or take out the current one and see if there is anything stuck to the end
I would like to believe they are just simple magnetic reed switches....

Old 08-20-2010, 11:59 PM
81ginger

Did you follow the wires from the top of the sensor? I had to replace mine about year ago, and it didn't fix anything right away. I thought I had a bad replacement sensor, but later realized I some of the original wiring was frayed and replaced it and the gauges started working again.

If that doesn't work, just be adventurous - I'm sure the cop will understand

Old 08-21-2010, 12:49 AM
KillerKilgore
Professional

had/have close to same problem with gauges (speedo and tach and the rest of MY gauges)

Check the grounds my friend. the CAV C1 connection pin 4 and 5 are the grounds. pin 4 is the logic ground for the I/O processor and 5 is the cluster ground. have to have both to work. they ground to the left and right side of the dash panel by the door. check them.

bad speedo sensor would not cause the tach not to work.

check out this link

http://bionicdodge.com/Download/Spee...d%20Tricks.pdf

LOTS of good info here

KillerKilgore

MISS READ THE ORIGINAL POST
I read TACH and instead of ODOMETER

MY BAD

KillerKilgore

Last edited by KillerKilgore; 08-21-2010 at 12:57 AM. Reason: CAN'T READ

Quick Reply: Speedometer and odometer not working, replaced both sensors...?