2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Front Drive Shaft Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:23 AM
jakebank
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Drive Shaft Replacement

I have a mangled front drive shaft on my 02 Dakota, the shop quoted me something like a grand for a new shaft and putting it in. I have found a used shaft that is in great shape for $220. I'm just wondering how difficult of a job it is to remove and replace a front driveshaft. I am fairly mechanically inclined, and my father-in-law is as well. Is this a job we can do in the driveway?

Old 09-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Rantz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most definitely. You'll need wrenches and jack stands to raise the vehicle on. Make sure you inquire to the condition of the replacement shaft. It's important that it isn't banged up and all unbalanced.

The haynes manual has the whole process explained in 9 steps lol

Pick up your haynes manual and it'll walk you through it. As for tips and tricks that might help make the process easier, I'm sure someone will get in here and pipe in if there are any you should know about.

If it's an issue, I can scan that page out of my haynes manual if you really need.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:08 PM
midget-farms
Professional

Be sure to pick up new CV boots too. They are cheap & its much easier to just cut the old ones to get them off.

You will need to drop the spindle - that is the easy part. The worst part for me was getting the darn nut off the axel so I could take it out of the wheel bearing.

Just remember - take it slow - go one step at a time & keep everything clean. You will have no problems.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:24 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by midget-farms
Be sure to pick up new CV boots too. They are cheap & its much easier to just cut the old ones to get them off.

You will need to drop the spindle - that is the easy part. The worst part for me was getting the darn nut off the axel so I could take it out of the wheel bearing.

Just remember - take it slow - go one step at a time & keep everything clean. You will have no problems.
hard to say if he's talking the half-shaft, or the actual driveshaft between the transfer case and differential. Based on the cost estimate, I'm thinking the latter.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:18 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he is talking actual drive shaft, it's a cake job man. A few bolts on each and shes out. You might need a little PB blaster but in the end it's a real easy job. I just did mine this summer.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:14 AM
Brian2001
Rookie

well i bought one at a junk yard for like $50 but a new one at autozone will run you about $250. its easy to change. did mine in the driveway. no jack or jack stands!!!!!

Old 09-28-2010, 09:07 AM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

im in the process of doing mine right now. easy as hell to do.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...experts-2.html

Quick Reply: Front Drive Shaft Replacement