2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Truck died while driving. What the?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 12:38 PM
yenner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck died while driving. What the?

1997 Magnum V6. 198K.

Driving the other night the truck died. Took starter fluid to get her going again and limped here home (1 mile) and she died 1 time during that trip. Won't start. When she WAS running sometimes it would idle for about 30 seconds others it would die right away. Giving it gas affected it sometimes and others it didn't. I suspect fuel pump. Thoughts?

Old 12-18-2010, 01:01 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the fuel pump. When mine went it was still running but barely and when I would give it gas it would die out sometimes it would start and run fine but then like 5 min of idleing it would die out. Can you hear the fuel pump turn on.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:25 PM
yenner

I haven't been home to check. I'm getting ready to leave for another job and trying to wrap things up where I'm currently at. Between that and the Christmas season I'm about swamped. Tomorrow I'm hauling it out to dad's pole barn. He's got the heat and air tools.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:28 PM
yenner

Also, I'm searching but not having any luck yet. Any DIY's with pics for replacing the fuel pump anyone can link me too? I would truly appreciate it.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:05 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I did my fuel pump back in February. Sorry, don't have any pics but it really was not very hard. You want to relieve the fuel system pressure first by removing the fuel pump relay and start the truck, it will run rough then shut down, then you crank it over a time or two to bleed all excess fuel out of the lines. Replace the relay and disconnect the battery. You don't want the chance of any sparks when working on the fuel system.

Then remove the plastic piece at the bottom left side of the left rear wheel well so you will have access to the fuel tank connections. Disconnect the fuel line, vent line, electric connector and the hoses from the fuel fill neck. Then remove the 2 nuts holding the fuel tank straps, pull the straps down from the bottom of the bed, remove the metal skid plate shield from the tank and lower the tank to the ground. Then move the tank out from under the truck and unscrew the collar off the old pump and install the new pump, be sure to align the orientation mark on the new pump to the mark on the tank, so the fuel gauge float will work correctly. Use the new collar and gasket that wil come with the new pump. Then put the tank and shield back in place, connect everything back up and tighten it all down.

When I did mine I had no one to help me with it, so I used 2 paint cans under the ends of the tank to support it as I lowered the tank and then raised it back into place. I cut a piece of plywood that fit between the 2 tank straps, put it under the tank, and used my floor jack on it to raise it back up where it mounted under the bed. I also used one of my ratcheting nylon tie down straps to hold it all together as it was moving. It will help you a lot if the tank is as close to empty as you can get it. My tank had about 15 gallons of gas in it and it was heavy and hard to maneuver.

When you go to start the truck again turn the key to run for about half a minute first so the fuel pressure regulator can re-prime the fuel lines, then start it up. It should be fine after that.

Around here a fuel pump replacement at a garage or dealer will cost $400.00 to $600.00. I did my own and all I spent was $180.00 for my new pump at Advance. I had a 20% off coupon for an online purchase, regular price for the pump was about $220.00. I bought it online and Advance had it delivered to the store up the street the same day, and I picked it up at the store. They even called to let me know when it was delivered.

Some guys have done the fuel pump by removing the bed for access. That works too and is probably easier, if you have a few friends to help you move the bed off and back onto your truck. It was not an option for me, working by myself. If your dad is able to help you with your pump, it should be a pretty easy job.

Jimmy

Old 12-19-2010, 10:35 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Most drop the tank but I have a skid plate then had to deal with the tank straps not to mention I had a half a tank of gas. I chose to take my bed off and do it that way. It was easy took me 20-30 min to get all 8 bolts out and then about another 10-20 min to get the tail light plug filler neck and spare tire winch rod off. Then I just put a board under my bed rails and used a come along connected to the big steel beam in our garage. After the bed was up I moved my truck forward and let my bed down so I could move it. Got my pump out in 5 min. I also did this way because I could take the time to sand my frame real good and then paint it.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:48 PM
yenner

Wow. Awesome guys. Thanks for the help. I'll have dad, who was a master mechanic when I was born, and my younger bro. I say younger and not "little" because he's as big as I am. Both about 6'1" and 300 lbs...all solid muscle of course. LOL!

Thanks again. Maybe I'll take pics and do a write up.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:20 PM
yenner

Advanced Auto had a pump in stock. Auto Zone would have had to order and get it by 8:00 tonight but I get off at 3 and want to be ready when dad gets home. Hopefully this fixes the prob.

To answer the question above, I turned the key on last night and didn't hear any hum indicating the fuel pump was working.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:28 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Before you change it out make sure its not the connectors. Try messing with them and see if you can get the pump to work.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:01 PM
yenner

Thanks for the advice. Will do.

I have the new pump and dad and bro will be home in a few hours. Here goes nothing.

BTW, Advanced matched the screen print I did from car-stuff.com. Saved me $33 and the wait for shipping. Kudos Advanced.

Quick Reply: Truck died while driving. What the?