2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 dakota won't start

Old 12-20-2010, 01:16 PM
echeesehead
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 dakota won't start

2002 Dakota 3.9 v6 quad cab 2wd 150k miles
After my truck overheated about a month ago I replaced the rediator, the upper hose assembly, thermostat and gasket. I test drove it and it seemed fine. The next morning it would not start. I listened for the fuel pump which I heard. I took about 3-5 minutes of trying to start it before it finally started. While trying to start it it would just turn over like no fuel but there was fuel. Check engine light came on and the code said cylinder 4 misfire. I bought new plugs, wires, distributor cap and pick-up coil, ignition coil, engine temp sensor. I got a fuel pressure tester and it tested 50 psi which is correct. So fuel pump works and no leaks. It started right up and I test drove it. The next morning it would not start. Again after several minutes of turning it over it finally started, rough idled then smoothed out. If its warm, I can turn it off, go into a store and come out and it will start. But after sitting for several hours or overnite, it will not start again.
I brought it to my local Dodge Dealer and they had it for 4 days before telling me that there was a vacuum leak and I would have to replace the intake manifold gaskets and plennum pan gasket. It was about $100 for the parts and $600 for labor. I got the parts and did the job myself and cleaned out my engine while it was apart. After putting everything back together it started right up and I thought "Cool!" Test drove it and it seemed fine. THE NEXT MORNING IT WOULD NOT START!!! No troublecodes come up and it will start up when it's warm. Please help me before I pull all of my hair out. Thank you .

Old 12-21-2010, 02:05 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I will move this to the 2nd Gen Dakota sub-forum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 dakota won't start