2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Car Seat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 02:59 PM
TigerGirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car Seat?

Sorry to intrude into the truck world guys, but I'm having an issue. My hubby has a 97 Dodge Dakota Club Cab and we're looking for a car seat for him to tote around our little guy with him in. The 97's don't have the option to turn off the front airbag so he has to fit on that little bench in the back. Do any of you have little ones that have to be rear facing in their car seat and what model car seat do you have back there? Doesn't seem like much will fit properly.....Thanks so much in advance!

Old 01-13-2011, 03:29 PM
cycodude
Professional
Location: Live: Silverdale, WA; Work: WA, CA, VA, GA, FL; From: WV

With the passenger seat all the way forward, most should fit easily. Also, if you go to the Dodge dealership they have the parts to install for the LATCH car seat attachment system. They are supposed to provide and install it for free.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:57 PM
jnjinfla
Rookie

AFAIK They do not install the LATCH for free. They provide the hardware for free. That is according to three different dealerships I contacted for the parts for my 92. I think it would be very tight putting a rear facing seat in a club cab. I suppose you could do it on the passenger side however you would probably have to move the front seat forward and/or leave it tilted forward to make it fit. I have a forward facing seat in the rear middle of my 92. I use a car seat belt ratchet I bought at kids r us to cinch the belt tight. The seat is as tight and secure using that as it is when I had it in a vehicle using the LATCH attachments. You might be able to get the dealership to install an off switch for the passenger airbag. Dunno how much it would cost though.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:20 PM
cycodude
Professional
Location: Live: Silverdale, WA; Work: WA, CA, VA, GA, FL; From: WV

I had it installed for free on my rig and on several cars that I have owned in the past without question, so I figured that was the norm. Sorry if I have misinformed....

Old 01-13-2011, 09:37 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should be able to add a air bag switch easily just remember to disconnect the battery and leave it sit for about 20 min. There are just 2 wires going the the airbag(ground and power) put a switch in between and your set you will be fine as long as you dont add power to the wire lol your hubby would prob need a new pair of underwear lol or you could simple it up and just pull the air bag fuse which will disable both bags.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:54 AM
wewanaplay
Veteran

Whenever I ride my son up front in my 97 club cab I just reach in and pull the fuse for the pass airbag. Doesn't cost a dime and I dont have to deal with my local idiots, I mean dealership.

Quick Reply: Car Seat?