2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Automatic door locking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:34 AM
UWAdventurer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Automatic door locking?

Is there a way to set up automatic door locking on the Dakota?

Old 01-30-2011, 08:03 AM
DakMan6704
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

read your manual

If you have power locks, I would expect so. Its a combination of ignitino on-off then lock or unlock. Someone w/a manual can answer it if you dont hvae one.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:12 AM
UWAdventurer
Veteran

Thanks Dakman. Will see what I can figure out. Anyone have a manual?

Old 02-01-2011, 10:42 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran

I found a manual and it says it has to be done by the dealer. Can anyone confirm this or know how to do it? Hate to go to the dealer to get the doors programmed to lock automatically. Thanks.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:52 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure about the Sport, My SLT has auto locking doors, it locks auto once i start rolling.. perhaps it was not a 'standard' option on the sport?

Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you talking about locking at 15mph? my sport does it but it has since I got it so I'm not sure if its a first year for this gen thing or what. I haven't heard of any ways to change it but I never really looked around. I know the dealer can do whatever they want tho if your pockets are deep enough though so I'm sure they could. (not saying its expensive just saying that I had a Prof. at my school that had the dealer go in and change some things in his 2 beemers at the dealer)

Old 02-02-2011, 02:08 AM
Scaryjam8234
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've disabled my auto door locks myself. Mainly because my locks stick shut and well, ended up locking my keys in once.i Checked the manual and read some articles on the web. It is infact a series of on and off key switches. I can't remember the order right now.

But what I do remember is some manuals had misprints in them, some said to end the last key switch on the wrong position. So it didn't work for many.

If you'd like I can check my manual tomorrow and might be able to find a link incase your truck has the alternate pattern.

It took me about 5 trys, but I eventually got it.

Last edited by Scaryjam8234; 02-02-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:19 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Scaryjam8234
I've disabled my auto door locks myself. Mainly because my locks stick shut and well, ended up locking my keys in once.i Checked the manual and read some articles on the web. It is infact a series of on and off key switches. I can't remember the order right now.

But what I do remember is some manuals had misprints in them, some said to end the last key switch on the wrong position. So it didn't work for many.

If you'd like I can check my manual tomorrow and might be able to find a link incase your truck has the alternate pattern.

It took me about 5 trys, but I eventually got it.
Hmmm I dont have auto locks but somehow my keys still get locked in there thats weird lol I carry a spare key in my wallet just in case now lol

Old 02-02-2011, 09:30 AM
DakCC4x4
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you can disable/ enable it if your truck came with this feature from the factory. I found it aggrevating as when i stopped and went around to get my little girl out, it had only unlocked the driver door when i put it in park. I found it in an online manual download that is a sticky on one of Dakota threads.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:38 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what I've found...i'm probably gonna go try this myself later today so I'll let you know if it works. there are a few methods that some say work and some say dont. Good luck.

Method 1
1. Get in close doors and put on the seat belt.
2. Turn key to on (not start)
3. Press and hold the Lock button on the fob for at least 4 seconds, then at the same time press the panic button.
4. If you hear one chime (you did it correct)release both buttons. And that should do it.

Method 2
It's in the manual..but kinda hard to find. I did it on mine...and if memory serves you get in the truck, put on the seatbelt, put the key in in the off position and click it over one click to on and back in forth for a total of 4 times ending on off, then press the auto lock door button. A sound will chime when done correctly.

Quick Reply: Automatic door locking?