2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Oxygen Sensor confused!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Mayotruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope it works out for you. In case you don't know already, the 2/1 O2 sensor plug from the truck's wiring harness is near the firewall (passenger side) behind the engine. It can be reached from under the hood, though you might scratch up your arm in the process like I did.
Yah I can grab it from underneath as well but its a stretch.

definitely are supposed to have the California setup with 4 O2 sensors, simply because of the 2/1 code. On the federal setup which only has 2 O2 sensors, there is no 2/1, only 1/1 and 1/2. From the FSM:
Thanks for that I figured after I really looked into it, even called dodge head office to try and find out all they said "go to a dodge dealer and they can verify for you, we don't have that information". Its hard to get it to a dodge dealer when you can't pass the safety test to legally drive it anywhere.

By the way, is this causing your truck to run poorly? Mine was running poorly with a check-engine light and a couple error codes for the 1/1 O2 sensor.
Honestly the truck is a fuel pig but besides that, it runs perfect. The problem is to pass my safety test I can not have a check engine light on so I must get rid of it. Its only throwing code 2/1 (the 2/2 was replaced already) so i figure if I replace 2/1 it should work, least that's my theory.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:39 PM
MaximRecoil
Professional

Originally Posted by Mayotruck

Honestly the truck is a fuel pig but besides that, it runs perfect. The problem is to pass my safety test I can not have a check engine light on so I must get rid of it. Its only throwing code 2/1 (the 2/2 was replaced already) so i figure if I replace 2/1 it should work, least that's my theory.
Do they just visually check for a CEL or do they hook into your OBD-II port? If the former (and if replacing 2/1 doesn't work), you can reset the PCM and sometimes the CEL won't come back on for a little while, maybe long enough to get it inspected.

You can also remove the bulb behind the CEL, which is what a mechanic that I know claimed did with his '99 Dakota 318. He didn't do it to pass any safety inspection, because they don't check for that here; he was simply tired of it constantly being on even though the truck has 300K miles and still runs fine. The problem with that though is, if they check the instrument cluster at startup to see all the warning/information lights briefly come on; when the CEL doesn't come on they'll know it has been disabled or is otherwise nonfunctional.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Mayotruck

Do they just visually check for a CEL or do they hook into your OBD-II port? If the former (and if replacing 2/1 doesn't work), you can reset the PCM and sometimes the CEL won't come back on for a little while, maybe long enough to get it inspected.
They do both but, the shop I have been taking it to was the ones that wanted this specific cat so they actually think that its a federal edition not the california edition that we both know that it is. So what i figure is

1) place the 1/1 port and 2/1 port on this cat and disable the 1/2 and 2/2 ports using the circuit completer. Since the rear sensors have no current issues and are already on completes this should work.
2) Reset the computer
3) Take directly in for the safety, and it should pass. There shouldn't ba any more issues with the o2 sensors after this. The only thing is they actaully won't be really doing anything..since the rear sensor won't be hooked up.. lol so dumb, but i think it *should work.

Quick Reply: Oxygen Sensor confused!