2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Simple maintenance questions. AND lift kits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:14 PM
koolkustomridez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple maintenance questions. AND lift kits?

I just bought a 2000 dakota 4x4 with the 4.7L. It has 119K miles, and I'm wanting to change all fluids, spark plugs, etc. My question is what brand and weight diff oil should I use in the front and rear? I think I have limited slip; I was spinning in some mud, and after a little spinning, it locked up the rear. What spark plugs should I use? How do I change oil in transfer case, and which oil should I use there? This is my first older 4x4, and I haven't changed oil in a transfer case yet- haven't even looked under there. (It may be self explanatory, but humor me!) Also, which transmission fluid? Who knows if or when any of this has been changed, so I'm starting fresh! Lastly, does anyone sell a 2"-4" suspension lift for them? I'd like to have a cheaper, decent lift, if anyone knows where to get one. Thanks!

Last edited by koolkustomridez; 05-01-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:02 AM
ryan_brown33
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as fluids go, Amsoil is the way to go IMHO. I just changed all my fluids to Amsoil. 5W30 motor oil, domestic vehicle ATF for the trans and t-case also from Amsoil (assuming its an auto tranny), 75W140 for the limited slip diff (75W90 for standard diff), 75W90 for the front diff. it is a little pricey but is designed to prolong the life of the drivetrain. plus you can go 10,000 miles on and oil and filter change vs 3,000 to 5,000 on conventional. changing the t-case fluid is easy, but requires a 10mm allen head for the fill and drain plus. first pull out the fill plug. then, pull out the drain plug just like changing oil. both plugs are located on the back side of the t-case and are easy to locate. i also went to the dodge dealership and picked up new drain and fill plugs (they are the same) and i think it was 4 bucks for both of them, just to get new plugs in there. after the fluid drains out, throw the drain plug back in. then, using a pump like this http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/g2039.aspx pump the fluid out of the bottles into the fill plug hole until the fluid starts coming out. then install and tighten the fill plug. pretty easy process.
engine takes 6.1 quarts oil
what trans you have determines how much fluid you need for that
t-case should take 3 pints
front diff takes 3.6 pints
rear diff takes 4.5 pints
hopefully that covers that all

as far as spark plugs, it seems like OEM plugs are the best in terms of what the motor likes. i run NGK plugs and havent had a problem with them, just gap them at .040 (which can be found on the sticker under the hood)

as far as lift kits go, a suspension kit is going to be tough. best bet is going to be a 3" body lift, so you will still have the stock ride quality and room for bigger tires. you arent going to find a cheap suspension lift, they are going to be well over $1,000 and for that price you could almost do a SAS, which is alot of time and money as well. on these trucks, easiest and cheapest is to go with a body lift.

hopefully that covered all of your questions

Last edited by ryan_brown33; 05-02-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:40 AM
koolkustomridez

Thanks for the help, Ryan. Sounds easy enough! I'm sure I have a 10mm allen, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm going to try to get it all changed this week. Thanks again!

Old 05-02-2011, 09:12 AM
DakMan6704
Captain

Its easy to do as stated. I use Mobil 1, but AMSoil in my bike...both are solid. Might switch to AMSoil in the truck when Im out of mobil1.
If you dont get a fluid pump, it can suck, but you can put a tube on top of the bottle, and invert it, squeezing the fluid in. Be prepared for hand cramps...I really need one of those damn pumps!

Also, clean up the surfaces(diffs) well before re-assembly, be it with a gasket, or RTV(the high temp oil-resistant stuff...red or black). Let it sit at least an hour finger tight assembled before cranking down and filling. Otherwise it may leak.

Quick Reply: Simple maintenance questions. AND lift kits?