2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

00 Dakota 4.7 runs hot

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:38 AM
chris1974
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 00 Dakota 4.7 runs hot

ALOT of problems can be avoidedbyflushing the cooling systemregularly. I'm not really sure what the recomendation is...but I flush mine before every summer. The camaro I had prior to the Dakota died from neglecting the cooling system. Freeze plugs started leaking, then the radiator clogged up on me. A tough lesson learned- I loved that Camaro! [sm=smiley19.gif]

Old 04-25-2008, 02:47 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: chris1974

ALOT of problems can be avoided by flushing the cooling system regularly. I'm not really sure what the recomendation is...but I flush mine before every summer. The camaro I had prior to the Dakota died from neglecting the cooling system. Freeze plugs started leaking, then the radiator clogged up on me. A tough lesson learned- I loved that Camaro! [sm=smiley19.gif]
Turn your heater on, does it blow boiling hot heat? or just mild air. If it's hot you probably don't have a clog, as that is usually the first to do that... But if it's warm, do a BACKWARDS flush of the core and your whole system, I did my heater core, radiator. Just keep putting the hose onto the different locations there are about 4... you can do, use hose pressure to get it out. I kept getting more and more gunk, I would run the hose at a pressure of half on the open, and it would get some, turn up more get some more. You'd be surprised what is in there. Also, use some of that flush stuff. It helps to free it up than use hose pressure...

Old 04-25-2008, 02:52 PM
scandal669
Veteran

ORIGINAL: chris1974

ALOT of problems can be avoidedbyflushing the cooling systemregularly. I'm not really sure what the recomendation is...but I flush mine before every summer. The camaro I had prior to the Dakota died from neglecting the cooling system. Freeze plugs started leaking, then the radiator clogged up on me. A tough lesson learned- I loved that Camaro! [sm=smiley19.gif]
i agree with this...people neglect the cooling system until something goes wrong. i flush mine every year.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:29 PM
kenter

my 2003 dakota overheats with the ac on but is fine when its off,runs a the right temp,cant figure whats wrong ,i cleaned the rad up i did a flush it got a new water pump a few months ago has anyone gone through this problem and solved it .thanks

Old 06-06-2008, 09:58 PM
JasonA
Veteran

I would replace the radiator if you suspect it's still original.

Single core aluminum radiators are pretty common. It should have plenty of capacity for the vehicle. My '97 has a new radiator about 2 months before I bought it. It also has a new water pump and a new thermostat by me. All it really needed was a new thermostat gasket, but I couldn't tell that before I took everything apart. Anyway, new water pump, new radiator, new 195*F thermostat, new coolant, all good to go. It's been (literally) over 100*F here the last few days, and even with the A/C on full and in traffic, the engine temperature never even makes it up to the "2" in 210. It's at the 11:00 position on the gauge. If I sit long enough (for minutes) in traffic, it might creep toward about 11:30 on the gauge, but then the engine fan kicks in when we get going (no electric fan) and cools it back down. I'm very pleased with how this truck has handled the incredibly hot and humid weather we've suddenly got in North Carolina.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:25 PM
kenter

I thought about changing rad but it works fine with the ac off,so i thought it couldnt be the rad and then id still have the problem,might as will try it ,nothing in ac that might cause this that you no of thanks

Old 06-06-2008, 11:01 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

one thing to check, when the trucks temp is normal check the bottom rad, hose if it is cool to the touch the rad, is clogged. if it is screaming hot then you are ok. also you may have a clog in the heater core assem. these always tend to build up with crud. i would do a back flush. the other thing if the trucks stock temp is a 195 then what is the temp doing at 210. my 05 4.7 is a 195 and i replaced it with a napa 530080 180 stat. truck really likes this one.

Quick Reply: 00 Dakota 4.7 runs hot