2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Yet again, I am back...

Old 09-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Yarnie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet again, I am back...

The problems keep getting worse in the 99 Dakota, Check engine light wont stay off...always cylinder six too..but this last time it was accompanied by an oxygen sensor "bank one sensor two". I have it, and I had to change a sensor on my last vehicle so I am assuming the rough idle and exhaust smell is that...but I had brakes lock up today and ABS isnt working, which I dont care about particularly...but when we took it for a drive in the country to see if we could get the abs to work...every time we got on it the check engine light came on...I havent changed it yet because I dont know how long it will take me, and dont want to do it on a work night...so it will be done tomorrow for sure, but what im asking is..could the O2 sensor cause the smell, rough idle, and cylinder misfire? or am i just playing a never ending game of cat and mouse with my truck?

Please and thanks, Ive done some research..but never answers related to a Dakota...I dont really trust the same diagnosis in a different make, id rather hear from a Dakota guy if I can.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:46 AM
JBs DAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be running rich do to the O-2 but,..
It kinda sounds like your describing a
clogged cat.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:27 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up Have you?

Have you grabbed a repair manual yet and a repair guide?
Get them and go through it and read everything on maintenance tune-up’s all that stuff learn the Dakota inside and out it helps.

You may already know this but there it is

I thought I was very knowledgeable on most things till I joined this forum I have learned a lot and know my Dakota like never before very informative

Old 09-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Yarnie

Originally Posted by JBs DAK
Might be running rich do to the O-2 but,..
It kinda sounds like your describing a
clogged cat.
I dont know, kinda worried but im changing the sensor today...so i guess I will know soon enough

And, 98 DAKAZ...no I havent, I forgot all about it...and I havent checked if we have one yet or not.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Yarnie

Ok, found the O2 sensor...bank one sensor two would be on the drivers side downstream of the cat....however, I only have one cat so I would assume that means there would only be two oxygen sensors? one upstream of the cat, one downstream from it? No dual exhaust...so that's what leads me to believe that...found a Chilton manual at the library, will do for now until I get back into town to buy a Hayne's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yet again, I am back...