2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transfer Case HELP!!! Manual to Electric

Old 09-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Jtsolinsky
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Transfer Case HELP!!! Manual to Electric

I have a '01 dakota slt and my transfercase isn't in the best of shape and i found a donor, which is also an '01 dakota sport. I have electric shift (don't have the case number at the moment) and the donor has manual. I'm basically buying the donor because of the brand new tires and front driveshaft and some other random parts. But if i could make it work please let me know. I have a buddy who specializes in replacing parts/ re-habing trannys and transfercases but he doesn't know how this would work if at all. Oh ya and i searched for this answer

any help would be amazing!!

Old 09-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Xxaler
Professional

Not 100% sure, but might have to use the PCM from the Sport, the SLT PCM will throw codes since it won't be able to register the control module for the transfercase.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:31 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Are you positive that the donor is actually a 2001? The FSM does not list a manual transfer case at all for that year.

I only ask because of the PCM. In 2001 Dodge changed from a CCD bus (2 wire) to a one wire PCI bus. PCM's aren't compatible between the years and if you really do have the manual transfer case, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that it was built with 2000 parts.

Mechanically it should bolt right in. You'd need the shift bezel off of the donor and the linkage. The lights won't work to indicate mode but you'd have the shifter. You may have an issue with the ABS. In earlier years, '99 and '00 for example, the ABS controller received a signal indicating what mode, 2x or 4x, the vehicle is in. It's not clear from the wiring diagram if that's the case in 2001. The ABS module does talk to the TCCM on the PCI bus though.

Computers, love 'em or hate 'em.

Good luck.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:01 AM
Jtsolinsky

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm a decent "mechanic" meaning i can replace the tranny/transfercase easily but i'm not the best electronic/computer expert.

You said it should bolt right in. but that's using the manual linkage and shift/throw, right? what about driveshaft length, splines/teeth/diameters of input shafts,

Is there ANY way to make the manual t-case an electronic one. I wish i was able to look at the manual t-case. only other t-case i have access to is an AWD one in my buddy's durango. I'd love to keep the electronic shift to keep it "stock" that's my main goal.

the kid "says" its an 01. its the stock burnt orange color (idk if that helps at all because i know they were a "rare" edition or i haven't seen that many anyways)

Old 09-29-2011, 10:48 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

No, you can't make a manual t-case into an electronic. There is no mounting boss for the electric motor.

I'm not sure as to the shaft sizes. There are many combinations of engine/transmission/and rear diff.. You may have to use some other parts from the donor.

It would be easier to just find a NV233 and put it in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transfer Case HELP!!! Manual to Electric