2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

4.7L Engine Takedown *Lots of Big Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:21 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Wow a Fram oil filter those are crap look it up

FRAM oil filters are not the best choice you know?

Old 12-16-2011, 10:44 PM
URBANRDNECK
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by moe7404
not at all like a real engine is it?
I'm confused?

@DAKAZ. I don't use fram filters. I just bought one threw it on the motor because I know that it was going to get beat to crap and I didn't want one full of oil to start spewing fluid everywhere. I was using MOPAR oil filters on it. Now it gets purolator oil filters since that is what my dad thinks about my truck. My baby was going to get AMSOIL but doesn't look like that is going to happen for it anymore.

I would be posting more on this takedown but right now its exam time for all of us college students

Old 12-16-2011, 10:53 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default well thats good

well thats good to know URBANRDNECK

Old 12-16-2011, 10:57 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default I used FRAM for years till I learned how bad they are

I used FRAM for years till I learned how bad they are but I was lucky I used there tough guard and that is the only good FRAM oil filter they have.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:16 AM
New 2 Dodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am confused - yah it happens alot... What exactly is this project? I thought you were swapping your old engine for an '06. If so, why do you need to tear down the engine? I am assuming that the engine you are tearing down is the '06?
Sorry for the probably stupid question...

Old 01-06-2012, 12:04 PM
URBANRDNECK
Veteran

I was taking down my old 4.7L because the timing got F-ed up and valves met pistons. I Honestly just took it down for experience, and the ability to sell individual parts off of the engine. Nope the 2006 H.O motor is in my old truck and running perfectly, this is the motor that my truck came with.

I really thought I finished this thread. I will be sure to finish this by next week.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:36 PM
New 2 Dodge
Professional

Originally Posted by URBANRDNECK
I was taking down my old 4.7L because the timing got F-ed up and valves met pistons. I Honestly just took it down for experience, and the ability to sell individual parts off of the engine. Nope the 2006 H.O motor is in my old truck and running perfectly, this is the motor that my truck came with.

I really thought I finished this thread. I will be sure to finish this by next week.
Cool - either way thanks for taking the time to lay this out for us guys that don't have much engine experience (Or any in my case) - pics are worth a thousand words!

Old 01-06-2012, 01:51 PM
URBANRDNECK
Veteran

Originally Posted by New 2 Dodge
Cool - either way thanks for taking the time to lay this out for us guys that don't have much engine experience (Or any in my case) - pics are worth a thousand words!
Honestly this is my first engine. I thought that there would be a lot of people who would benefit from this, so that was the big pushing factor for me doing this entire thing. I figured that if people can look at my thread and save hundreds of dollars of repair bills by doing something like this by themselves its worth it to me. After all this forum is like one giant family.

The following users liked this post:
Brjash (07-28-2022)
Old 01-08-2012, 09:10 AM
AIR_RAM
Amateur
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

This should be a sticky...!

What a great post... Very detailed... I have done this more times than I care to remember but I never took the time to document each step.

As for Fram filters being the worst... That’s all HYPE... if they were as bad as some people try to make them, they would have been put out of business long ago. I have used Frams on just about every vehicle I have owned to include my 1969 Pontiac which I have race for years using a Fram HP1 without a single issue. I have NEVER met a person who has had an engine fail due to a Fram Filter... I have heard stories from people who heard the story from someone else... but there never seems to be firsthand experience with a failed Fram Filter.... I’m just sayin.
SPEED SAFE, NICK

Old 01-27-2012, 02:56 PM
crateampsrock
Veteran

Gotta love a german made engine... yay powertech

Quick Reply: 4.7L Engine Takedown *Lots of Big Pics