2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

possible vaccum leak/ check engine code help

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 03:01 PM
jdtemp01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible vaccum leak/ check engine code help

I have a 2001 dodge dakota, 4.7 automatic two wheel drive quad cab. First, I have check engine light on with a code of p-0051 anyone have any suggesstions. My second issue is when the truck gets hot after driving for a while if u start it back up right away it seems to start and run fine, however if you let it sit for about ten minutes it will start but idle real rough like its not getting fuel, then either die or clear up and run fine. Does anyone have any ideas, ive had one person say it sounds like a vaccum leak.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:05 PM
DakCC4x4
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Let the truck idle and get a can of starting fluid and spray a mist over the vacuum lines under the hood. If you hear the engine speed idle up then you have a vacuum leak. You should be able to pin point the leak after a few sprays. Also if this dotn work, wait til it is dark and with the engine running look under the hood around the plug wires for an arc jumping to metal or if you are brave you can run a screw driver around the jacket on the plug wires and see if it shocks you. If so then you have a crack in the plug wire jacket. NOTE it can shock you!!!

Quick Reply: possible vaccum leak/ check engine code help