2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New member; 2000 Dakota 4x4 club needs exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:55 PM
PDX_Dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member; 2000 Dakota 4x4 club - Exhaust Questions?

Hi everyone,

Thought I would post and introduce myself like the sticky suggests.
For many years, I have been a Chevy guy. Last spring as the ol 78 K5 Blazer started having problems, my daughters boyfriend let me borrow his Ram 1500 to drive to Canada and I have to say - I was hooked. Now as winter is here in the NW (Oregon), I need a reliable truck so I've been looking.

Yesterday, I purchased a 2000 Dakota, 4x4 club cab with the 4.7L Magnum. It's in pretty good condition, has a few minor body scratches but no accidents or major damage. From what I have been able to determine, I have the 45RFE trans, with 231-HD Tcase and the tow package.
Color is Silver with cloth interior - no holes or tears.

I was able to talk the guy down $300 because the cats and O2 sensors have been removed and the cheaply done dual exhaust is leaking badly. It's running real rich and smells of unburnt fuel due to no O2 sensor. I have to pass emissions so I will have to add the sensor and cat(s) back on.

Since I'll be redoing it, I thought I would ask about ideas for a good exhaust system. I had Magnaflow freeflow cats in mind with a complete new dual system. Ideas and suggestions would be appreciated. Also where are the connectors for the O2 sensors? I'm hoping they have not been cut off!

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by PDX_Dakota; 11-21-2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: change title
Old 11-21-2011, 12:18 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
I will move your post to the dakota section, this way some of the members can help. They are very knowledgeable.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:24 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Old 11-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Krowbar
Rookie

What...? Oregon doesn't have emissions! haha Is it by county or something? I live in Oregon too but down on the South West coast. Anyways, I haven't had to replace anything upstream from the Cat, but I went with a 2.5" stainless steel 'cat-back" (not really a cat back because you utilize the mid pipe still) Mandrel bent Solutions kit taht uses a Full Boar muffler. It is suppose to be pretty similar to the Magna Flow design but half the cost! haha

As far as a cat, I went with a 2.5' spin-tech as the 2.5" exhaust system I bought from MBS wa not loud enough. Nice exhaust not, but i wanted a little more of an agressive sound the 4.7 produces. The fault was NOT in the Full Boar muffler, but in the restrictive stock cat.

To answer your other question about 02 sensor and what not. you can pick up a O2 plunge on the net for our O2 sensor for real cheap. Take it to an exhaust shop and have them weld it on a new downpipe for you. Should only be about a 2 foot piece of pipe, but I would calculate it after you get the new cat as it is much shorter than the Tuna boat Cat that is in there now....

Old 11-22-2011, 03:27 PM
mikeglass1969
Amateur

I had a Gibson alumnized muffler and tailpipe that rusted out after a few years. Sounded great though!!

Went with a Magnaflow Stainless Steel this time, also a nice system. Got it a lot cheaper than the Gibson stainless. Paid $340 shipped from performance truck products but I think they are $400 now.

As for the y-pipe and cats... I would Magnaflow again.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:36 PM
crateampsrock
Veteran

by o2 connectors I think he meant the wiring harness... They ride along the top of the tranny then merge into a bundle of wires to the PCM on the left side fender..... Good luck

Old 11-22-2011, 04:36 PM
chris1996
Veteran

welcome to the forum..!!!

Old 11-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Blaze10
Record Breaker

welcome to the forum bud, post some pics up when you get a chance

Old 11-23-2011, 01:41 AM
PDX_Dakota

Originally Posted by master tech
Welcome to DF
I will move your post to the dakota section, this way some of the members can help. They are very knowledgeable.
Thanks Master Tech.

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
Welcome to the forum!
Originally Posted by chris1996
welcome to the forum..!!!
Originally Posted by Blaze10
welcome to the forum bud, post some pics up when you get a chance
jondakotaguy / chris1999 / blaz10, Thanks for the welcomes, sounds like a great forum
I will post pics as soon as I can take some. I got the truck on Saturday and I haven't had a chance to take some in decent weather.

Originally Posted by Krowbar
What...? Oregon doesn't have emissions! haha Is it by county or something? I live in Oregon too but down on the South West coast. Anyways, I haven't had to replace anything upstream from the Cat, but I went with a 2.5" stainless steel 'cat-back" (not really a cat back because you utilize the mid pipe still) Mandrel bent Solutions kit taht uses a Full Boar muffler. It is suppose to be pretty similar to the Magna Flow design but half the cost! haha

As far as a cat, I went with a 2.5' spin-tech as the 2.5" exhaust system I bought from MBS wa not loud enough. Nice exhaust not, but i wanted a little more of an agressive sound the 4.7 produces. The fault was NOT in the Full Boar muffler, but in the restrictive stock cat.

To answer your other question about 02 sensor and what not. you can pick up a O2 plunge on the net for our O2 sensor for real cheap. Take it to an exhaust shop and have them weld it on a new downpipe for you. Should only be about a 2 foot piece of pipe, but I would calculate it after you get the new cat as it is much shorter than the Tuna boat Cat that is in there now....
Krowbar, I'm west of Portland just inside the DEQ boundary so I have to pass emissions. I got the truck in Tillamook where there are no emissions so they just ripped the cat and o2 sensor out. Then put in a homemade crossover (not really even a Y) with a single IN / dual OUT glass pack. It's loud but what's left has rusted and is leaking in 3 places that I could find. No welding, just clamps over the pipe joints. I figure I need all new from manifolds to bumper.

Originally Posted by mikeglass1969
I had a Gibson alumnized muffler and tailpipe that rusted out after a few years. Sounded great though!!

Went with a Magnaflow Stainless Steel this time, also a nice system. Got it a lot cheaper than the Gibson stainless. Paid $340 shipped from performance truck products but I think they are $400 now.

As for the y-pipe and cats... I would Magnaflow again.
I'm thinking Magnaflow too. A muffler shop in town sells Magnaflow and has a dual exhaust deal for $300.

Originally Posted by crateampsrock
by o2 connectors I think he meant the wiring harness... They ride along the top of the tranny then merge into a bundle of wires to the PCM on the left side fender..... Good luck
Yes the harness (I should have clarified), now I know where to look.
I really hope they are just tucked up above the tranny or something instead of being cut off the main harness.

When the rain slows I'll look and see and take some pictures.
I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: New member; 2000 Dakota 4x4 club needs exhaust