2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Leaking rear window or windsheild!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:12 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Leaking rear window or windsheild!

Well saturday I went hunting in the morning while the snow was still all falling. Towards the middle of the day it started to melt(12:00). I got back to my truck around 6ish and noticed I had wet carpet around my door. I lifted up my rubber floor mat to find a puddle of water on top of my carpet!! So since today was warm I gutted my interior to find the source. I currently have my carpet out drying right now in the garage. Tomorrow ill spray it down to see what I can see. I've never had my driver side floor wet. It started out of no where. My passenger side used to get wet a little bit due to my clogged a/c drain tube but I fixed that couple months ago so it hasnt been wet since. So far it seems to be coming from the back window but cant be 100% positive. I couldnt get out my rear toolbox/storage only 2 of the bolts came out so I have to get dremel blades so I can cut the bolts. Dont really know what to do if it is the back window other than replace it which would suck to pay out of pocket. On a side note dakota bench seats are the best redneck lawn furniture. They recline, have storage and has 2 cup holders!! lol

IMG_8936.jpg

Old 11-02-2011, 09:51 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just sit inside and have someone outside hose down the truck really heavy and watch for leaks..

Old 11-02-2011, 09:53 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think on mine its my door there at the window there is a leak; and the water runs onto the back of the pannel being the plastic really is not 'sealed' any longer; it runs from the inside of the door into the cab between the plastic and the hole there.. In mine you can actually see the runs...

Just throwing it out there.. I have to get my seals redone on my window.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:15 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Well I found out its leaking threw the rear slider window. I called state farm just to see if they would replace or even get me a deal threw safelite. No go which I figured they wouldnt cover. So im going to call safelite and see what they recommend. It sucks I gutted my whole interior just to find out its just my rear window. On a side note im going to call around to near by junk yards and see if I can find any durango leather seats for a reasonable price. Ones on ebay are going for 2-300.00 + 150-200.00 for shipping.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:47 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Well got my whole rear window replaced. I was going to pay out of pocket(394.00 not exactly what I wanted to pay but it needed done). Safelite told me insurance should cover it and when I talked to them I was asked when I first noticed it leaking(after my accident is when I noticed the damp carpet smell but didnt find the leak till last week). So she opened a claim up on my insurance and it was covered at no cost. I was also told if my carpet was ruined then insurance would cover that too. The only downside is I lost all my decals I kept my old window to see if I can get them off. I better not have wet.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:17 AM
DakMan6704
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an issue with my brake light...it was leaking early...Dodge had the truck for 3 days.

Let me know how the leather pans out...Ive had that on my 'to-do' list for, well, 7 years.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:20 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by DakMan6704
I had an issue with my brake light...it was leaking early...Dodge had the truck for 3 days.

Let me know how the leather pans out...Ive had that on my 'to-do' list for, well, 7 years.
I looked at the leather and it was dirty(looked like it was sitting in the yard for 5 years) driver side was worn some. Guy wouldnt even come down 25.00 so I said well if your not gonna come down then ill just pay 75.00 more off ebay for a good set. So for right now the leather is on hold.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:25 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Last update and ill let this thread finally die lol. Pretty much a little piece of info for future reference. The rear slider is not water proof. It will keep out 70% of the water. There is a channel that the slider goes into(1/2in deep) The water that does get past the window will collect there. There is weep holes in the bottom of the window frame that allow the water to drain. If yours doesnt drain here is a quick fix. You can pop that channel piece out with a screw driver and it slides out from under the middle window. This will allow you to get to the weep holes and run a 1/8in drill bit down through it. Also if you ever break your middle slider you can replace just the middle section by removing that plastic channel on the top and bottom of your window. This is a 10 min process and doesn't require a window tech to do it.

Plastic channel
IMG_0462.jpg

About a foot long and is one piece.
IMG_4278.jpg

weep holes
IMG_5456.jpg

Side note is I contacted, K&N,magnaflow and hemifeaver telling them what happened and they all sent me new decals free of charge!!

Quick Reply: Leaking rear window or windsheild!