2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Fan Controls Not Working on 2003 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 08:08 PM
ministock6
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the things to watch out for when installing a new resistor is to check terminals in the connector, a lot of times the terminals are sightly burnt or have had a test light stuck in them and opened them up, causing them not to make a tight connection and that will burn up a new one in no time, also like the other guys said you should always replace the blower motor when replacing the resistor, as for salvage yard one. I wouldn't do used, why put one in that might have been ready to cause a problem in the vehicle your getting it out of. then you got the problem all over again

Old 12-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Ts610
Professional

Well I pulled my resistor again and it was fine. Found that the harness plug was burnt slightly on one of the plugs. Replaced the blower motor and is working again. Is the harness hard to replace?

Old 12-19-2011, 07:54 PM
5hundo
Professional

UPDATE: So, I don't think it's the blower motor, or the resistor. Today, I got in the truck and without thinking, I turned on the heater. It took me a minute to realize it was working just fine, whereas it hadn't been before (it was early...coffee had not been fully digested).

Now I'm thinking I have a bad connection or a bad switch. Even worse than before...

Old 12-20-2011, 07:07 AM
Ts610
Professional

That is exactly what mine was doing before the blower went out. Would work most times and sometimes cut out.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:30 PM
ministock6
Rookie

The harness is not really that hard if you can solder wires, If you do it just remember to make sure when splicing wires back together to get the right wire soldered onto the same wire that goes on terminal in the resistor, I would not use butt connectors because you need the best connection you can get and butt connectors do not make as good connection as soldering. Just remember also that since you have already noticed a terminal showing slight burn that your resistor could be going bad also. If you havent replaced it yet and you put a new connector on the harness, when it does go bad, it will burn the connector you just put on.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:39 PM
5hundo
Professional

Originally Posted by ministock6
The harness is not really that hard if you can solder wires, If you do it just remember to make sure when splicing wires back together to get the right wire soldered onto the same wire that goes on terminal in the resistor, I would not use butt connectors because you need the best connection you can get and butt connectors do not make as good connection as soldering. Just remember also that since you have already noticed a terminal showing slight burn that your resistor could be going bad also. If you havent replaced it yet and you put a new connector on the harness, when it does go bad, it will burn the connector you just put on.
Cool, thanks for the info...

I'm guessing this is an issue I'm going to want to purchase a new, or rebuilt part for? Junkyard parts might have the same issue as this, I suppose...

Old 01-24-2012, 11:46 PM
ministock6
Rookie

Yes, There is really no sense in getting a part from salvage yard, They might have same problem you have, and then its all a waste of time. Thats up to you. I would go ahead and get a new part. Just remember, if the terminals show any kind of discolor, they dont fit tight on terminals, the problem will come back, sooner or later, One last thing, I have noticed that a lot of the time the fan is working, but it is pulling too many amps because a bearing is starting to go out but its hard to tell until it starts to quit, If you cant afford it, thats ok, but if you can replace fan and resistor at the same time.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:24 AM
Ts610
Professional

I replaced mine shortly after the resistor change and has worked fine ever since. Cost me $35 so not to bad.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:01 PM
5hundo
Professional

Okay, so I took a look at the resistor and blower motor and the resistor that I just replaced has been fried. The harness that goes to the resistor is corroded and the sheath on a couple of the wires is missing. I'm going to have to replace the resistor and harness but is this a symptom of the blower motor being bad too?

I took some pictures and I'll post them later.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Ts610
Professional

I would say so. I just went ahead and replaced my motor and eveything has been fine since. You can splice the harness to replace it out get a whole new one.

Quick Reply: Fan Controls Not Working on 2003 Dakota