2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bosch Oxygen Sensor Problems in Dakotas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:54 PM
macgollabhride
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Bosch Oxygen Sensor Problems in Dakotas?

So I need to replace both of my O2/ Oxygen Sensors (up & downstream). I bought them today. When I got home I looked on the net for installation tips & tricks. While I was clicking around I started reading about how Bosch O2/ Oxygen Sensors cause problems in Dakotas. I of course, I bought a pair of Bosch Oxygen Sensors earlier in the day before I knew about this issue. So, they're going to be returned tomorrow morning.

Any other horror stories I should stay away from as far as O2/ Oxygen Sensors go?

Any suggestions or success stories out there in regards to good dependable O2/ Oxygen Sensors? Brand names or part numbers would be a huge help.

My engine size and other Info for my Dakota are listed in my signature.

As always, thank you for any help you can you can offer.

Last edited by macgollabhride; 03-29-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:33 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Bosch Oxygen Sensors

Well I installed all new Bosch Oxygen Sensors with no problems but then again I have the 2.5 engine.

I have heard this but don’t know what they are talking about how are they bad?

My Dakota runs great with them one thing I think is important is when replacing them use the same brand don’t mix brands use all Bosch or NTK or whatever brand you choose.

This may be what’s going on mixing brands

Old 03-29-2012, 10:05 PM
macgollabhride
Professional
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Well I installed all new Bosch Oxygen Sensors with no problems but then again I have the 2.5 engine.

I have heard this but don’t know what they are talking about how are they bad?

My Dakota runs great with them one thing I think is important is when replacing them use the same brand don’t mix brands use all Bosch or NTK or whatever brand you choose.

This may be what’s going on mixing brands

From what I’ve been able to dig-up and read, it seems that Bosch O2 sensors affect V6 and V8’s; I didn’t see any issues with dealing with 4 cylinder engines but again that’s just what I’ve been able to find.

These are the described problems that the Bosch O2 sensors cause:

Back-fires, stalls, rough idle, poor(er) MPG and CEL trips…these are the most common issues I’ve come across.

It’s a rule of thumb for me to not mix brands. I assumed that the folks that were having these problems were paring-up the same brand since they mentioned only the brand Bosch but that’s a really good point; maybe some replaced only one sensor? I dunno. Some did do both or go back soon after and replace both but the problem still remained.

Either way, I’m taking back the Bosch O2 sensors that I got today.
I don’t need any more headaches with my Dakota.

I’m looking at the NGK/NTK 23506 for my upstream on Amazon since no one local carries NGK/NTK’s.
I haven’t pulled the trigger on them yet because I cannot locate an NGK/NTK downstream sensor yet. One site says that the NTK 23099 IS OK and another says no-go. Grrrrrr!

Thanks for replying to my post.

The more advanced manufacturers make things the more of a head ache it is to get’em fixed up.

Last edited by macgollabhride; 03-29-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:14 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've said this before; so take it with a grain of salt, not trying to start a whats better argument but my Dad has used Bosh on his Ford and every single one of them failed.. Yeah I know its a ford but still its the same concept..

Old 03-30-2012, 06:07 PM
macgollabhride
Professional
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
I've said this before; so take it with a grain of salt, not trying to start a whats better argument but my Dad has used Bosh on his Ford and every single one of them failed.. Yeah I know its a ford but still its the same concept..

I definitely wasn't trying to start a what's better argument either. I just wanted more input, experiences, tips, etc. I was able to track down a pair of NTK O2 sensors this morning so, hopefully I should be set.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:57 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I also read online there are problems with Bosch O2's in Dodge Magnum engines. When I replaced mine I used NTK, ordered them straight off the NTK web site, they cost about $35.00 each but that was about 4 years ago and long before I knew anything about Amazon.com.. I replaced only my upstream sensors, did it strictly as a preventative maintenance thing, I had no codes or anything at the time, and had about 80,000 miles on my truck at the time. NTK is the suppler for the OEM Dodge sensor too.

I replaced my MAP sensor at the same time, but I got the new one at Auto Zone, have not had any problems with that one, either. My truck sure seemed to run better and have a noticeable power improvement after all of that, at least it seemed that way on the butt-dyno...

Jimmy

The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (09-18-2021)
Old 03-30-2012, 09:35 PM
macgollabhride
Professional
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
I also read online there are problems with Bosch O2's in Dodge Magnum engines. When I replaced mine I used NTK, ordered them straight off the NTK web site, they cost about $35.00 each but that was about 4 years ago and long before I knew anything about Amazon.com.. I replaced only my upstream sensors, did it strictly as a preventative maintenance thing, I had no codes or anything at the time, and had about 80,000 miles on my truck at the time. NTK is the suppler for the OEM Dodge sensor too.

I replaced my MAP sensor at the same time, but I got the new one at Auto Zone, have not had any problems with that one, either. My truck sure seemed to run better and have a noticeable power improvement after all of that, at least it seemed that way on the butt-dyno...

Jimmy
So, I dodged (no pun intended) two bullets; my Dakota has a Magnum series engine. I also didn’t know that NTK was the OE O2 supplier for Dodge – a good thing to know, thanks for that as well!
My Uncle is a mechanic for the Philly police and he helps me out whenever he has the time. He has a nice home garage, complete with a lift but he is retiring in a couple months and is in the process of moving himself and all of his equipment up-state so, I’m under a time constraint to get my Dakota straightened out before I have to either take care of problems myself in front of my house (on the street) or worse taking it to a mechanic. I try to say as much money as I can without hurting a situation and I’m all about buying online but I wound up going to Advanced Auto Parts up in the burbs to pick up the up & downstream sensors; one was $50 the other was $65 (ouch). I initially failed my PA inspection/emissions when it was put on the computer saying that there was a problem with the O2’s. My CEL bulb was physically missing so, I didn’t even know that the CEL was tripped (replaced that and two other missing bulbs & adapters this morning). To be safe, I also ordered a MAP sensor from Ebay. It was $15 shipped and it’s covered under some guarantee with Ebay.

I hope that these take care of CEL issue and it would be a very nice bonus if I got a little more Umph out of my Dakota – It feels like it’s struggling no matter how I’m driving now.

Thanks for your input Jimmy!
I’m looking to glean any useful information I can get me hands on.

Thanks again, Scott

Old 03-31-2012, 10:22 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah I seen those cheap map sensors but I found they are euther standard or oem (origianal engine management) I found one for 21 that was delphi which makes a lot of actual OEM parts for the big 3.. So I choose that over the others.. I'm waiting on it to arrive mon or tues. And the ebay store showed 6 left as well FYI

Old 04-01-2012, 11:17 PM
macgollabhride
Professional

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
Yeah I seen those cheap map sensors but I found they are euther standard or oem (origianal engine management) I found one for 21 that was delphi which makes a lot of actual OEM parts for the big 3.. So I choose that over the others.. I'm waiting on it to arrive mon or tues. And the ebay store showed 6 left as well FYI
The make of the MAP sensor that I bought is made by Standard Motor Products (part #: AS88) I'm not too familiar with that brand but I figure spending under $20 to see if there is an improvement over the existing (probably original with the truck) MAP sensor isn't the worst chance I could take.

Quick Reply: Bosch Oxygen Sensor Problems in Dakotas?