2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

auto to manual transmission swap.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:10 AM
chickenlights
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a nv3500 that i just pulled from my truck with 120000 on it. works great you can have the clutch and flywheel with it. i live in columbus indiana. pm me if interested. only reason im getting rid of it is because i have a nv 4500 going in behind a 4 bt cummins

Old 05-31-2012, 01:02 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DakCC4x4
Those AX15s were always bad about losing the syncros in 4th. Every one i ever had did that.
never lost 4th but have lost 1st and 2nd synchros, I overhauled the AX 15 in my Wrangler for that a year ago;and have seen the same thing in others. I attribute that to having to teach both my wife and son how to drive a stick, off that same Jeep; if you drive decent that AX 15 will last quite a while I look at an opportunity thing run what you can find;

you think that trans was bad? Try the orig 5 speed they put in a Dakota 87-89 I think the called it an A 535 and then an NV 2500 (same trans, renamed))
or the one they used in 4 banger Jeeps (AX5)

also miles is less of a factor when looking for a manual tranny vs an auto

Old 05-31-2012, 01:04 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by chickenlights
i have a nv3500 that i just pulled from my truck with 120000 on it. works great you can have the clutch and flywheel with it. i live in columbus indiana. pm me if interested. only reason im getting rid of it is because i have a nv 4500 going in behind a 4 bt cummins
In the process myselfn right now, of putting an NV 3500 in my 93 Dakota; its what was available to me and it did come from another 318 Dakota...
I think 1st gear is slightly too low in either an AX 15 or an NV 3500.... and too big a jump from 1st to 2nd not like these trucks are that heavy or anything, even loaded down

Old 02-20-2014, 05:35 PM
recojamesjr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the Throttle Position Sensor,can it be eliminated?

Old 02-20-2014, 08:35 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
I think 1st gear is slightly too low in either an AX 15 or an NV 3500.... and too big a jump from 1st to 2nd not like these trucks are that heavy or anything, even loaded down
I disagree. I think the low first gear is awesome for starting off from a stop, especially on hills or when towing a heavy trailer (or when towing a heavy trailer on hills). It also helps the crawl ratio when you're offroad.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:38 AM
BlackDakotaV8_4x4
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yellowdakota
Hey guys, Im new to the forum and i was wondering what parts i would need and a ballpark estimate on what it would take to convert my 99 dakota 5.2L 4x4 from a automatic to a manual transmission. The reason im looking into this is because unfortunately the auto transmission just gave out Monday and doing this conversion is looking like a real possibility so i wanted to do some research on what i would need to do it. As i said, im not sure what parts it would take to do this, other than a manual transmission, clutch peddle, brake peddle, and possibly a new steering column. If possible, i wanted save a few bucks by using the automatic steering column i have now by just deactivating the column shifter. Is this possible or is there something that will require i get a manuals steering column to do the conversion? iv been looking for a long time all over the internet and have yet to find a strait forward answer and now that the auto failed, i figure now's a good a time as any to ask around for help/insight.
I know a lot if you need help, I'm doing the swap on my 97 dakota , all I did was cover up the P N R D 2 1 with a blacked out piece then knocked out the pin that held the auto sifter on the used black plastic to cover that auto shifter slider and hole, and get the clutch master and all for that year truck if you want you can take a look at my thread and see if any can help you if not ask me questions!

The following users liked this post:
Tmeuser99 (09-24-2023)
Old 02-21-2014, 01:00 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A
I disagree. I think the low first gear is awesome for starting off from a stop, especially on hills or when towing a heavy trailer (or when towing a heavy trailer on hills). It also helps the crawl ratio when you're offroad.
It's great for off-road or towing, but it sucks for everyday driving. With 3.21s it would be okay, but still a big jump to 2nd.

Quick Reply: auto to manual transmission swap.