2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

transmission cooler??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 06:23 PM
oledb4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission cooler??

I'm considering installing a transmission cooler on my '04 3.7 v6 Dakota. I tow a boat on the weekends and also have heard it could have some mpg effects, as well as prolong my tranny life. Any experience/thoughts?? thx

Old 05-09-2012, 07:16 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One came on my truck because of the tow package on it. It sure can't hurt anything, cooler tranny temps are a good thing for the fluid.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:16 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you need a external fluid filter, auto zone, 2210. goes in the line going to the rear tube, just find a good place to put it, when you cut the tube you need to bulge the line a little so the hose stays. its best to use high pressure hose. allso the factory may have put a check valve in the line, you need to remove it. i add rear end grease to the trans, or take some out, then add back. some think iam crazy, BUT IT works if the cooler lines go into the cooler in the vertical radiator on the right side of the truck, the bottom line has the check valve, if it has one. if you have a vertical cooler on the left side, not using the radiator, the line going to the rear, aka return, may have a check valve in the return line. behind the radiator.

Quick Reply: transmission cooler??