2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Massive electrical problems (2002)

Old 03-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Czechman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massive electrical problems (2002)

Here's a good one for you to ponder.

I was outside with the truck sitting in the driveway when it started going "beep beep beep beep" (not horn) continuously. The doors were closed, no lights left on, no keys in the ignition... nothing apparently wrong.

I got in and fired it up with no problem but the "Service 4WD" light stayed on. Then I noticed that none of the position indicator lights on the 4WD switch were on so I tried another position and nothing changed. Then I noticed that the cargo lights were on and wouldn't turn off. Then I discovered that none of the running lights would go on and the doors wouldn't lock/unlock from the switch.

At that point I drove it to my mechanic where it will sit until Monday.

Any ideas what's going on?

Any help would be appreciated.

Woody

Old 03-04-2012, 12:32 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's either a bad ground or a bad Central Timer Module. The CTM is in the driver's kick panel and it controls a lot of the electrical functions you are having problems with. CTM failure is a fairly common problem on Dakota's. It can cost $300.00 to $400.00 if you have a shop replace it. You can buy the new CTM at the Dodge dealer or maybe online for $200.00 to maybe $250.00 and install it yourself. If you have keyless entry you will have to get the Dodge dealer to program your old keyless remote controls to the new CTM.

You can check the grounds under the hood and at the battery to be sure they are all OK, and check the ground lug connectors in each kick panel. From the symptoms you described it sounds like your CTM is bad though.

Jimmy

Old 03-04-2012, 01:25 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like bad ground or ctm. If its that order one from the dodge dealer and instal yourself. A bolt and like 2 plugs takes 5 min. Dealer will charge like 80.00 just to do that.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Czechman
Rookie

(comment deleted)

Last edited by Czechman; 03-06-2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Wrong answer
Old 03-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Czechman
Rookie

Actually it turned out to be the battery. I got lucky.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:32 PM
samoul
Default CTM module replacement $625.00?

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
It's either a bad ground or a bad Central Timer Module. The CTM is in the driver's kick panel and it controls a lot of the electrical functions you are having problems with. CTM failure is a fairly common problem on Dakota's. It can cost $300.00 to $400.00 if you have a shop replace it. You can buy the new CTM at the Dodge dealer or maybe online for $200.00 to maybe $250.00 and install it yourself. If you have keyless entry you will have to get the Dodge dealer to program your old keyless remote controls to the new CTM.

You can check the grounds under the hood and at the battery to be sure they are all OK, and check the ground lug connectors in each kick panel. From the symptoms you described it sounds like your CTM is bad though.

Jimmy
2001 Dakota ext cab 4x4, 97K miles. Everything functioning normally when I parked it, but later that evening, everything was dark; no headlights, no interior, horn, instrument panel, fob unlock/lock, "4WD needs svc" light on, etc. But it started and emg flashers worked? Limped to Karmart Chrysler in Burlington WA and filled out repair chit. They put it on diagnostic, and informed me that the CTM computer was bad and for only $625.00 they will replace it. I told them no thanks, intending to comb the junk yards for a used device, and install myself. I went to take the truck home, and miraculously everything was back to normal, except of course the "check engine" light. I figure when they pulled it out, and put it back in, it had a reboot of some kind, or a loose wire was no longer loose. I trust they would have informed me that I didn't need to replace it, or am I being naive. I suggest pulling it out and putting it back in, worked for me.

Last edited by samoul; 05-19-2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: add additional malfunction
Old 05-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Czechman
Rookie

I had a similar experience. The battery in mine was weak so they put a new one in and everything worked fine... for a couple days. The CTM was finally replaced and everything is as it should be.

I expect you'll have the same experience.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:00 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Czechman
I had a similar experience. The battery in mine was weak so they put a new one in and everything worked fine... for a couple days. The CTM was finally replaced and everything is as it should be.

I expect you'll have the same experience.
It will come back. Even disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it will only make it alright for a period of time. It's your CTM. I used to have to disconnect my battery to get mine to work when I needed my headlights or something. Your problems will come back after a little while and progressively get worse.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:34 PM
1992dakota
Default 1992 Dakota Gen 1 horn sounds when I start truck?

any ideas? (Besides disconnecting wires at horn). Can't drive in this city without a horn.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Massive electrical problems (2002)