2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Cam/Crank sensor issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 01:13 PM
crbertilson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam/Crank sensor issues

I am looking for some help fixing issues related to intermittent codes my 2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4.7L has been receiving. The codes and timeline are as follows:

Current Codes:
P0016: Crank-Cam position correlation
P0339: Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent
P0300: Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

Past Code:
P0344: Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Intermittent (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)

Depending on the day I might get the Cam or Crank code. The original symptoms were rough idle, engine won't go over ~3000 RPM (I believe due to "limp" mode which goes away once codes are cleared).

Here is what I have done to try and solve the issue:
-Replaced the Cam Position Sensor (aftermarket part)
-Replaced the Crank Position Sensor (aftermarket part)
-Cleaned the Throttle Body
-Replaced the Cam Position Sensor again (Mopar part)
-Replaced IAC (aftermarket part)
-Replaced TPS (aftermarket part)
-Cleaned all the body/block grounds I could find.

I am not sure what to do next, all the other ideas I have found so far are expensive and some seem unlikely. I wanted to check here before I took it to a mechanic or attempted to replace parts costing $100+. Here are some other ideas I have found online after lots of searching:
-Flash PCM
-Replace PCM
-Problem with the cog wheel the crank sensor reads (not sure why this would cause an "intermittent" issue though.
-Replace vehicle wireing.

This issue has been driving me crazy for a while now, if anyone has an idea I would appreciate the help!

Old 09-20-2012, 06:21 PM
crateampsrock
Veteran

id start by throwing another camshaft position sensor... spend a little money and buy a name brand component... I highly doubt its a pcm issue or even the cogwheel... start with another set of sensors and clear it again...

Old 09-23-2012, 01:43 PM
TONYBO123

Make sure your timing belt is good and tight

Old 09-23-2012, 10:47 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Sorry Tony, The 4.7L doesn't have a timing belt. It has a timing chain, But the was a good thought. Has the engine had any work done on it? If so, what was done.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:25 AM
crbertilson

Originally Posted by crateampsrock
id start by throwing another camshaft position sensor... spend a little money and buy a name brand component... I highly doubt its a pcm issue or even the cogwheel... start with another set of sensors and clear it again...
I have already replaced the camshaft sensor twice, the lady time being with a Mopar part. The crank sensor is the more expensive AutoZone part. At this point I don't believe the sensors are bad. Thanks for the reply!

Old 09-24-2012, 08:32 AM
crbertilson

Originally Posted by master tech
Sorry Tony, The 4.7L doesn't have a timing belt. It has a timing chain, But the was a good thought. Has the engine had any work done on it? If so, what was done.
I bought the car used and to my knowledge there has been no engine work done. Another bit of information though, the truck was in an accident before I got it. The front passenger side quarter panel has been repaired. This is very close to the PCM, another reason for me to think the PCM is a possibility. I am not sure how durable they are, all the connections on the plugs to the PCM look fine though. I should also note I was at least a year after I bought it before these problems started.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:38 AM
crbertilson

After a reset of the codes I received another code later that day along with one I had revived before. I found a post of a guy with a Ram 4.7 that had similar symptoms and in the end he had a PCM issue. Any other things I should check before going on to the PCM?

P0335: Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit
P0300: Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

Old 09-25-2012, 12:33 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I know there has been problems with the hollow camshafts and the camshaft sprocket. As well as the valve seats dropping. But i don't know if thats the problem you are having.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:22 PM
Samatva
Default The magnet?

I *finally* fixed my P0344 error on a 2005 Dodge Caravan 4-cyl by changing the magnet on the end of the camshaft - about $20 from Amazon Airtex 5S7062

Last edited by Samatva; 07-23-2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: clarify what I fixed
Old 07-23-2014, 10:37 PM
tspeed109
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default auto zone parts

Well since you mentioned auto zone then that's the problem. Auto zone sells parts we call seconds. They call them duralast. (Defect parts that still work.) Don't buy auto zone parts there bad For my truck I get all parts especially electrical parts from Napa. Napa carries alot of the factory parts for dodge. Even some of the dodge part numbers are the same.

The following users liked this post:
Dakota97381 (02-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Cam/Crank sensor issues