2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

One Problem Fixed! 3 More Discovered

Old 05-10-2013, 03:41 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One Problem Fixed! 3 More Discovered

Clearly my truck doesn't like me

I replaced my driver side wheel hub again, back in last May I bought a cheap one in Canada for $45 and lets just say it didn't last 6 months.

Ordered 2 new Timken one's for $280 out the door (price includes shipping and duty/taxes).

Installed the one I previously replaced in May - no problems with the Timken installation - did it rather quickly in just under 90 mins.

Went over to the passenger one too and:

1)Confirmed my suspicion of a blown shock - everytime I hit a bump on the passenger side I'd get a clunk and noticed that the shock has leaked all out and is very loose. It's okay - wanted to replace them anyway being 11 years old.

2)Went to take the two caliper bolts off the passenger side and stripped one... Dodge used a 7mm hex on the driver side, and decided to use a 5/16's hex on the passenger side (Thanks jackass). But I didn't strip it cause I used the wrong hex, it was just too rusted thanks to the 11 years of Canadian salty roads. So now I gotta get a new caliper bolt - I'm thinking junkyard now.

3)What would cause a creak in the steering only turning left on full lock? I noticed pulling out of my drive way that the steering creaks if I go full lock LEFT, but not right. I was constantly turning the steering wheel back in forth to access the hub bolts.

Anyway... I know this question has been beaten to death but if you're gonna take the time to help me here why not throw in a few suggestions for new shocks? Thinking about KYB or Rancho - two popular brands on rock auto and my local autoparts place only carry junk like Monroe.

Cheers guys!

Old 05-10-2013, 05:46 PM
jpayne80
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought new caliper slide bolts at Autozone.

As for the steering creak, it is probably your intermediate shaft. It is very common. Spray some white lithium grease on the two u-joints of the shaft. That will narrow down the creak.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:48 PM
jpayne80
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, I have KYB gas-a-justs and they are pretty good. If money isn't a concern, get Bilstein. They are the best shocks I have ever owned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: One Problem Fixed! 3 More Discovered