2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

I've never owned a Dodge before...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:56 AM
AidinTackett
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up I've never owned a Dodge before...

Hi! I'm new here! Just purchased a 2004 Dakota Club Cab. It's got the V8. And 90k miles. Can't find to much of them online with specs. I'm looking to lift it a little and put exhaust. Nothing to loud but a nice grumble from the v8. Any advice on the truck as far as routine maintenance, tips and tricks, or any input please comment ready to start working on my new baby!

Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Welcome to DF! Moving this to the 2nd gen Dakota section. They can help you out.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:36 AM
DK Pony
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any clunks or thunks from the suspension or steering?
I bought my 03 QC 4x4 about 8 months ago with 115K on it.
These are a few things that I have learned since my purchase.

The suspension components are non-greasable so they are pretty bad for wearing out early. Ball Joints, Tie Rods, etc.
Also the front and rear sway bar bushings are bad to start creaking and squeaking.
The throttle body could probably use a good cleaning along with the IAC.
The engine had copper spark plugs from the factory and seems to like copper core plugs the best.
The drivers seat is known for splitting the cushion just over the seat rail and if left long enough will cut right through the upholstery.
Yes the engine fan and the electric fan will run for the first 5-10 minutes or so when you start the truck and drive off. Makes a lot of noise but it is set up that way.

Oh, and we need pics.
Congrats!!!!!

Old 05-06-2013, 03:35 PM
DakCC4x4
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Flowmaster 40 series sounds good on the 4.7. Check youtube for sound clips of different setups. Check the many(100s it seems) recent posts on suspension lifts for info.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:37 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Routine maintenance is the same as any other vehicle, grease anything you can. The factory stuff isnt greasable but most aftermarket stuff will be. Ball joints and tie rods are the common problems on these trucks. Unfortunately for these trucks there isnt much for lifts other than torsion keys or body lift. I think the flowmaster sounds good on the 4.7's but the best is go on youtube and search. You will find a bunch of vids.

Quick Reply: I've never owned a Dodge before...