2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission-> OD not working and now no gears working

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 06:21 PM
joemama1967
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission-> OD not working and now no gears working

Hello everyone. People here have been so helpful in the past that this is now the first place I go to for advice
I am sure someone has seen this before. I'll try to give as much detail as possible to help figure out what the problem is.
Okay, here we go.

First, I noticed that the truck will not start in 1st gear, it wants to limp from 2nd gear. Usually, I have no problems but yesterday, it popped out of overdrive (the OD Off light came on and it downshifted to third). So, I tried to get off the freeway and then the "Trans Temp" light came on.
After is sat and cooled down, it started working again...but after about 20 miles, it came out of overdrive again. I was able to limp home around 35mph.

I figured it was an output speed sensor or throttle position sensor. So, I figured driving today and keeping it under 40 would be okay. Well, after I got to my destination about 15 miles later, it made clunking sounds when down-shifting. It upshifted fine...somtimes it would start out in 1st gear but when it did, it wouldn't shift into 2nd year until high RPMs.

And, on the way home, it started slipping and got to the point where it won't shift or drive at all. No matter what gear (R, D, 2,1), it won't move. If I let it sit with the engine off, I can usually get enough to get it rolling a distance but then it slips out and no gears are working.

So, I checked the levels of the fluid. It is within range (although at the low end). I do not smell anything and the fluid looks like a dark red. Obviously, it needs to be changed but any idea why it would act this way?

I am not sure how hard it would be to get into the transmission as I have never done any tranny work before. So, links and photos would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
2002 Dodge Dakota 3.9L, 4x4 SLT, 194,000 miles

Additional note: P1757 and P1762 codes thrown and vehicle will roll no matter which gear the truck is in.

Last edited by joemama1967; 05-07-2013 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Added more information
Old 05-07-2013, 10:06 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Just take it to your nearby reputable transmission shop. Unless you've built a 727 or 904, most people don't have business playing with internals. Either you lost a pump, or you did what I did, and shelled the front drum and pump together. My rebuild was new clutches, bands, front drum, pump, torque convertor, and 5 hours labor.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:55 PM
joemama1967
Amateur

Any suggestions on what to check to help narrow it down?

Old 05-09-2013, 02:53 PM
DK Pony
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that you have a 545RE transmission. There are no bands and it is almost completely electronic. I personally wouldn't have a clue and would be taking it to someone.
You have lost the pump or at least something major.
Good luck

Old 05-09-2013, 03:28 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by DK Pony
I believe that you have a 545RE transmission. There are no bands and it is almost completely electronic. I personally wouldn't have a clue and would be taking it to someone.
You have lost the pump or at least something major.
Good luck
No, he said 3.9, so it's the 4*RE (42RE). The (5)45 slushbox is only on the *.7 motors.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:30 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by joemama1967
Any suggestions on what to check to help narrow it down?
likely the front pump went out, and is not supplying hydraulic pressure. Worst case, you shelled a front drum like I did, and you have chunks of metal blocking passages and tearing up pump gears. I got lucky, none of it got in the planetaries.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:00 PM
DK Pony
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by magnethead
No, he said 3.9, so it's the 4*RE (42RE). The (5)45 slushbox is only on the *.7 motors.
oops, I stand corrected.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:44 PM
joemama1967
Amateur

Yes, I did look at the build sheet and it is the 42RE.
I have it up on ramps and will be pulling the pan.
I guess if I see a lot of metal it would be a bad thing.
I'll post what I find.
Thanks

P.S. When I fired it up, I was able to drive it up on the ramps. So, maybe the issue is when the trans gets warm.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:18 AM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by joemama1967
Yes, I did look at the build sheet and it is the 42RE.
I have it up on ramps and will be pulling the pan.
I guess if I see a lot of metal it would be a bad thing.
I'll post what I find.
Thanks

P.S. When I fired it up, I was able to drive it up on the ramps. So, maybe the issue is when the trans gets warm.
warm fluid is thinner, and won't make pressure. That's why I think front pump.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:48 PM
joemama1967
Amateur

Thanks for the help magnethead.
I believe that the pump is not easily accessible (ie, I would have to pull the trans). I hope that's not the problem as I don't really have the money to pay someone to fix it.
Is it possible to test the pump by pulling a hose and see if it pumps out fluid?
I haven't had a chance to look at it. But, my original plan (which needs to be done either way) is to change the filter and fluid. To fix the overdrive problem, I was going to swap out some solenoids and sensors. If I have to drop the pan, might as well do everything.

Quick Reply: Transmission-> OD not working and now no gears working