2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Heater motor or resistor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 10:37 PM
mage0095
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater motor or resistor?

Ive got a 1998 dodge dakota 4x4 v6.
And the heater no longer blows air warm air comes up but very slow slower then the usual slowest setting.
Ive read online that it could be the resistor but that usually means at least one of the settings will work and non of them do no matter what setting or a/c
It first started going out awhile back were it would blow just fine then stop then randomly would blow back on.
In the last few weeks it completely stopped except one time when my friend accidentally kicked it and came back on for a little bit before it made like a wobbling sound before it stopped blowing again. everyonce in awhile if you hit it, it would make the wobble sound then come back on at half speed before stopping again

Any ideas? does this still sound like a resistor or possibly the fan itself being warped or something?

Old 11-07-2013, 08:49 AM
joemaya22

Back probe the blower motor and using a multi meter test for power and ground you could also use a test light. If you have power at all settings replace motor.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:11 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't have a multi-meter, you should plan to get one, but in the interim, you can disconnect the fan motor at the plug and connect it directly to 12 volts - if it runs, the next thing to look at is your resister. In my opinion, the testing is more foolproof with a multimeter as you can include the wiring and connectors in your backprobing.

If you'll be looking for a meter, I'd recommend getting one with manual settings and not an autoranging meter, they can be confusing for first time users. Also, look at getting some test leads with alligator clips and some straight pins. The straight pins are to stick through the insulation of wires so you can make contact without cutting back any insulation or searching for nonexistent connectors. A bit of "liquid tape" works well on any holes you poke into wiring.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:12 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Start by checking the grounds

it doesn't sound like a resistor problem if you have all speeds

does the speed drop down then shut off or you just don't get any air coming out the vents?

Sounds like a worn out fan to me

but you have a few other possibility's

Old 11-07-2013, 11:35 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

I vote worn out fan

Old 11-07-2013, 08:54 PM
joemaya22

You should never pierce wires. Always back probe at the connector. I use t pins, you can find them at fabric stores or sewing department at Walmart

Old 11-07-2013, 09:08 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Tell me about it one shop trying to find out why my A/C didn't work poked so many holes in the wires it destroyed the wire and I had to replace it and the connector to the high side sensor.

They mangled the wire

Quick Reply: Heater motor or resistor?