2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

SCT and California Smog

Old 09-20-2013, 02:18 PM
MoparJP
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCT and California Smog

I have a 91 SCT Hemifever tune on my 99 Dakota R/T CC. Will I need to pull this for the computer reading part of the test to avoid failing, or is it ok? It has to be at a smog only station.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:14 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparJP
I have a 91 SCT Hemifever tune on my 99 Dakota R/T CC. Will I need to pull this for the computer reading part of the test to avoid failing, or is it ok? It has to be at a smog only station.
I pass basic computer testing here in texas no problem, as long as the engine light is off.

A sniffer, I don't know if you could pass so easily.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:30 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

California Smog is tough so is AZ Smog not sure it would pass they always use sniffers on the tail pipe

They also plug into the computer and see what is going on I think the tuner will show up like a red flag but I could be wrong.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 09-20-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:52 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
California Smog is tough so is AZ Smog not sure it would pass they always use sniffers on the tail pipe

They also plug into the computer and see what is going on I think the tuner will show up like a red flag but I could be wrong.
tuner does not show up to scanner.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:00 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

I like smog laws as I moved into SOCAL Southern CA in 1968 as a kid and you could still see the Mountains in the distance and the snow covered peaks. By 1977 you could not see them anymore the smog became so bad.

Same with Arizona I moved in 2006 and you could still see the Superstition Mountains very clearly but now they are gone in the smog covered air and it’s hard to breathe just like SOCAL Southern CA.

I'm telling you the days of the power V8 big auto is ending soon as they will become illegal to own.

Its only a matter of how fast the EPA pushes it

And they are pushing HARD AND FAST

Old 09-20-2013, 11:15 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

I by far prefer good clean air over a power V8

But I will say the green energy craze is trash at best

Solar... worthless trash

Wind farms... same

Nuclear power every one will not trust

Every new green energy scam is just that... what is left coal and oil still the best

Old 09-20-2013, 11:25 PM
magnethead
Legend

I wouldnt call solar worthless trash. I know alot of people that cut their power bills by 30% or more with them. Yes it takes years to get ROI (as upposed to near decades in a prius) and there are maintenance costs involved, but they still pay off well. I'm taking a geology class this semester, and our professor said that with one roof-side of solar panels, they get a 25% or so bill reduction on a $10,000 investment put in 2 years ago.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:42 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

pay off well
HA and with what fudged strange numbers is he showing you??

I have watched solar for over 25 years and it never comes true like they say

If it was so great we all would have gone solar don't you think

Don't buy into the shinny pumped up number games they try to show you

Old 09-20-2013, 11:46 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

You are also forgetting the Tax credit that is how the numbers look so good but someone is paying for it correct

Tax credit is the hidden cost that pumps up the good return numbers

Look at it this way if you that's us the Tax payer could just say pay 10% of my solar I can save say 15% on my energy bill... you don't mind do you Ok so you loose 10% but its sounds good... ok... its only a Tax credit what's wrong with that?

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 09-20-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparJP

Getting back on topic: I don't live in California, never have, never will. But the automotive part of my life has been governed by smog checks for the past 20 or so years (Nevada & Arizona.) CARB has a reputation in the west, at least, for being very tough and unforgiving of changes in the stock engine. There's a reason that performance parts are label for use everywhere except California.

Whatever we do out here in smog-test-land, we have to take into consideration what the tail pipe emissions and computer readout ramifications will be. The guy at the trannie shop the other day told me that even putting a non stock transmission in can show up on a smog test. I have a fresh 5.2 with aftermarket headers to put in my 96, and it will be interesting to go have a smog test after I get it in. Smog tests here are only $13 btw.

Short answer to your question, "Will it be okay?" is that none of us can tell you. The worst that can happen is that you'll fail and have to put it back to stock. I'd probably start looking for a proper stock PCM for your truck with attention to the year, engine, and transmission. Then whenever smog time comes, switch the pcm out for a couple of weeks, then switch back if you like. Gear heads have been doing this for years.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 09-22-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SCT and California Smog