2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

which brake line fittings are where?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:13 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts
Default which brake line fittings are where?

reading that our trucks have 3 different brake line fittings for the 3/16 line- two metrics and an SAE.

Which ones are where? Or should I ask, where are the 3/8-24 inverted flare fittings at? I know the master cylinder and distribution block are metric bubble flare, but I don't know the sizes.

Jeg's line lock has 1/8" NPT fittings, with 3/8-24 double flare to 1/8 NPT adapter fittings. So I need to find a line and fitting with 3/8 double flare fittings. I was thinking the Tee would be a good spot, if that's the correct fitting. But I'm seeing conflicting reports on the Tee being metric or SAE.

Last edited by magnethead; 09-24-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:17 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

From the first gen forum- is it safe to say that everything switched from SAE to metric for the 2nd gen?

Do fittings exist that would go back and forth from metric bubble to SAE inverted, and back again? So that i could thread the stock metric lines into the SAE line lock fittings, then back to metric lines?

Originally Posted by dodgerules86
The typical 3/8"x24 fitting work on just about everything. (These are the typical 3/16" brake line fittings)

For the master cylinder, however: One fitting is 1/2"x20 and the other is 9/16"x20.
You -can- use standard length fittings (MAKE SURE THEY ARE FOR 3/16" BRAKE TUBING!!), but it came really, really close to reaching the end of the threads (bottoming out without applying pressure on the tubing below).
For that reason, you should use the proper replacement.
See the following:
http://store.fedhillusa.com/a153.aspx
http://store.fedhillusa.com/a163.aspx
(If you look closely at the pictures in these links, you see on the fitting, where the flared part of the tube would butt against the fitting, it has a little bit of a non-threaded portion after the threads end, that act like an extension that is really needed with the master cylinder)

On my 1996 there was, I think, one or two other places that didn't use the typical 3/8" fitting.

Last edited by magnethead; 09-24-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Quick Reply: which brake line fittings are where?