2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Thinking about buying an R/T

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 02:57 PM
StoopRango
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying an R/T

Hey guys, haven't been on here in a couple years, but I'm thinking about checking out an R/T Dakota for sale right in my town. I've always wanted one of these trucks, but all the ones I've seen sadly were thrashed and trashed. This one only has 52k miles on it, original owner and is a '99. Few mods, headers( doesnt say which kind but I'm guessing shorties), full exhaust, and an air intake. It has 2 other mods which one I know doesn't do anything..a TB spacer, and a Jet stage 2 chip, which I've read aren't too great. The seller is asking 7000, which seems high to me.

Just looking for some opinions before I check it out, anything to look for, let me know. Are the '99s a reliable year? And I know being a 5.9L, the mileage isn't good, but I want something fun to drive. Right now I'm in a '04 Mazda 3, and it's just not my thing. Only thing I like is that it's nice on gas. But it always has problems. Just looking for any advice on the truck before I go to look at it. Thanks!

Old 10-20-2013, 09:31 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about a Maserati today. Ain't buying one tho.

Price on your '99 R/T is too high. But more important it's been dicked with. Beware of mods that "make it better." If the modder doesn't know his **** from Kim Kardasian, you'll spend a bunch on reversing all the "improvements."

Old 10-21-2013, 12:40 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree I would never buy any auto that's been modified you may be getting a massive headache trying to fix all the mods they made.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying an R/T